Cards from clients in portfolio?

Nurses Job Hunt

Published

Hi everyone!

I'm putting together a portfolio for when I go job hunting in a few months (just getting my LPN diploma), and I'm hoping to get your opinion on if this would be appropriate to include in it:

I have a section for my reference contact info and a few letters of reference from volunteer agencies, etc. I just remembered that I have a few cards from clients that I've worked with as an HCA (just letters of thanks, telling me how much of a help I've been), and I was wondering if those might be appropriate to include? I'd blur out the names for confidentiality, of course. Just not sure if that's something that might appeal to an employer or if it'd seem unprofessional.

Thanks!!

Don't give anyone any pause to think you might be willing to skirt a HIPAA violation. As a matter of fact, the entire portfolio idea seems a little overboard for an LPN position. A standard resume is quite sufficient.

I have included cards from former patients during my interviews. Do what you feel is best.

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.

Maybe take them with you (i.e. in a briefcase, etc.) to have just in case an appropriate moment arises. But I would probably leave them out. In fact, I am not a big fan of submitting a portfolio unless asked to. That's one of those things I might have with me in a bag - in case I was asked for something that I kept in there. But submitting it if you are not asked for one is risky. Anything out of the ordinary is risky. I would submit a good resume ... and have the other materials (e.g. copy of license, transcript, reference letters, etc.) with me in a professional-looking bag to give if asked.

If no one asked for those things, I would offer them near the end of the interview. I would say that I had such things with me and ask if the interviewer would like copies of them.

+ Add a Comment