Disorderly Conduct?

Nurses Criminal

Published

I have a disorderly conduct from over 16 years ago from my senior year of high school. I was not charged with any criminal offense. What, I got arrested for, was NOT ANYTHING dealing with drugs, DUI or drinking, assault, or steeling of money. My background came out clear but my finger prints came back with a red flag. I literally got in trouble for not ratting on people, who were stealing. Because I watched and didn't turn them in, I got arrested as well. I provide my school with 2 legal documents from the Judge with a raised seal stating I don't have a criminal charge and the other document is saying you can't use my disorderly conduct against me. I live in FL and am applying to FL. Because my offense happened in NY Chamberlain is giving me a hard time and will not accept me. They had my finger printing done for 3 months and told me 3 days before my class started that they are kicking me out. I know nurses that have DUI's and assault and battery charges and they are still nurses. Is my career really over? I am desperate for help. Mind you I went through a huge national clearance, I have my 100 Ton captains license. One of the most extensive background check you will go through. I am at a job currently where I handle Hundreds of thousands of dollars monthly. This has never came up. I have given up a lot to get to this point and have over come huge obstacles ... Can someone please help.... Thank you in advance.

Specializes in School Nurse, past Med Surge.

I guess my question is why Chamberlain? Isn't there a school local to you in FL that you can attend?

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.

The school is well within its boundaries to admit or reject students as they so desire. It is possible that their clinical sites would reject you with those issues showing up. Believe it or not, the school is probably doing you a favor for telling you now rather than just taking your money only to toss you out later when the clinical sites say no.

Were you convicted? Sorry, that wasn't clear from your post. Those other nurses you know likely worked with a lawyer to have their record expunged and also took responsibility for their actions and worked with the BON to meet their requirements for licensure with a record. You might want to consult an attorney. Good luck!

I have done a lot of research and was accepted to other schools. I felt this school would fit me best. Their local campus has small numbers and that is what I like. I don't want to be just a number and want to be at a school that works closer to their students and has more one on one. I don't want to just breeze through school and learn what we have to and as fast as possible with out true guidance.

I understand that. My argument is that I was NEVER convicted and have proved that. It just sucks watching people who actually have a DUI and assault and battery (regardless of getting it sealed or not... those are offenses that could have killed someone and could have ruin someone life) verses someone that just didn't rat on someone while is high school because they stole cigarettes. Ive gone to the board and have taken many steps. So we will see. Thanks for your comments. :)

+ Add a Comment