HELP! HELP! RN in the Philippines recently relocated to CA what should I do?

Nurses Career Support

Published

Hi I am a Regsitered Nurse in the Philippines and I recently passed my requirements to the BON and they are still processing it. It has been three months now and my cash is running low. I need a job ASAP that is related to the medical field so that I can gain more experience. So please tell me should I pursue a CNA, LVN, psych tech or nurse tech? I really dont know what to do. :(

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

If your cash is low, any job is better than no job.

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.

OP, are you a CNA or LVN?

Specializes in Tele, ICU, Staff Development.

To be a CNA in CA, you must be certified, but the courses are short, and they are offered in adult schools. If you started working as a CNA in a facility, you stand a better chance of being hired as an RN once your are licensed.

I don't see the benefit of working as an LVN, because you still have to apply for licensure (it's a different board).

I hope you get an answer soon, good luck!

Thank you for your reply I am now applying to be a CNA program that will pay me while training but I am having second thoughts you see I have a spinal problem and I am not allowed to stoop or bend for a long time and lift and carry objects that are more than 20lbs. If I strain myself I could get a spinal compression so my relatives are very skeptical with my decision applying as a CNA. I wouldn't strain myself with the job right?

I am neither of the two you see I am starting here California we recently just moved here from the Philippines?

OP, are you a CNA or LVN?

I am neither of the two you see I am starting here California we recently just moved here from the Philippines?

To be a CNA in CA, you must be certified, but the courses are short, and they are offered in adult schools. If you started working as a CNA in a facility, you stand a better chance of being hired as an RN once your are licensed.

I don't see the benefit of working as an LVN, because you still have to apply for licensure (it's a different board).

I hope you get an answer soon, good luck!

Thank you for your reply I am now applying to be a CNA program that will pay me while training but I am having second thoughts you see I have a spinal problem and I am not allowed to stoop or bend for a long time and lift and carry objects that are more than 20lbs. If I strain myself I could get a spinal compression so my relatives are very skeptical with my decision applying as a CNA. I wouldn't strain myself with the job right?

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.

Do you think those limitations won't also affect your future employment as a nurse?

+ Add a Comment