New Grad jobs in Austin

Nurses Job Hunt

Published

Hi everyone I was looking for a little bit of advice for a New Grad RN in Austin, TX. I have 2 years of LVN hospital telemetry experience. I was interested in Seton hospital but I am unsure of the route to take. For example some recruiters are eager to consider me experienced because of working in a hospital on telemetry but others are unwilling to consider me experienced because I was only an "LVN". I'm not sure if anyone else has experience with this but my question is should I apply for just a generic RN position preferably Cath Lab or ER, or should I apply for a RN residency program.

Specializes in Critical Care, Education.

If you are a new grad RN, go for the residency. It is confusing because of the overlap in clinical skills, but RN is not a 'step up' from LVN.... it is an entirely new job with an entirely new set of responsibilities and very different scope of practice. You deserve the same type of transition to practice as other new grad RNs. Of course, your increased comfort level with patient care routines and some clinical skills will be a huge advantage.

FYI, my organization recognizes LVN/LPN experience at 50% when it comes to RN salary determination... e.g., 4 years LVN experience = 2 years RN experience.

Thanks I did submit an interest form to seton for their next residency program. I have already received a call back so I am praying for the best. What oraganization do you work for if you don't mind me asking.

+ Add a Comment