Need advice! Just got an offer but waiting to hear from another.

Nurses Job Hunt

Published

Hi All,

I am hoping that some veteran nurses or hiring managers have some advice as I seek my first job (I recently graduated from an accelerated BSN program).

I had two interviews in the same hospital system, but at two different hospitals, two different HR reps - the employment portal is the same, but otherwise, things are entirely separate, i.e. there is not collaboration between the two HR reps or anything like that. The interviews were supposed to be just a few days apart, but one was rescheduled and pushed back a week.

I just got a job offer for the first position, and I only have a couple of days to decide. However, the nurse manager is still interviewing the rest of this week for the second position and won't have a decision by my deadline.

I am very conflicted, because while I liked the first place a lot - great staff and location, many positive initiatives on the unit - the second job is in my dream specialty an area that I hope to eventually specialize in as an NP. I will add that I am changing careers and am nearly 40 years old, so it's a little different than if I had just graduated at 22, in terms of how time is invested.

Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do to either get more time to think about job #1 or try to find out my chances at job #2? I don't want to end up with neither, but I also don't want to miss out on a rare opportunity to get specialized experience.

Thanks for your help!

I would ask if job offer #1 can extend their offer time. Just be honest, let them know you are very interested but want to make an informed decision.

Specializes in Psych ICU, addictions.
I would ask if job offer #1 can extend their offer time. Just be honest, let them know you are very interested but want to make an informed decision.

It's a fair enough request, but if they don't give you enough time or flat-out say No, then you have a decision to make. If this is what happens...IMO, given you are a new grad in a tough job market, I would take job #1. It's work and you're gaining nursing experience.

Also, it puts you in the organization's system, so even though you're dealing with two separate HRs, the fact that you're still an organizational employee means you're an internal candidate and it will make transferring to the second hospital easier. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt myself.

Hopefully you will get your extension to hear from job #2. But remember that at this time, you only have ONE job offer. You may or may not have two offers. Waiting on that potential second offer is a risk that you have to decide if you are willing to take.

Best of luck whatever you decide!

+ Add a Comment