Finding a job as a new nurse. Help?

Nurses Job Hunt

Published

Hello everyone! I am reaching out to all my fellow nurses in hopes that I can get some tips on how to find a job as a new grad.

So a little bit of a background about myself. I took the NCLEX on September 3rd and passed! and I've looking for a job ever since. I live in Miami and it has been a challenge to find a job or an interview for nurses with 0 experience. We were warned in nursing school that finding a job here in Miami was going to be a challenge due to Miami having too many nursing schools. Therefore, we create a lot of nurses but don't have enough jobs for them. I've thought of moving to Orlando or Tampa to find a job. However, due to family and other personal problems that won't be possible.

Overall, I was wondering if there are any suggestions on how to make my resume stand out? Are there any online certifications I should get? Any websites?

By the way I am BLS certified and I am working on my ACLS certification (I'm saving up the $200 that costs to get certified). I am also an ASN grad and I am working on my BSN (I am missing 5 credits to enroll in the program).

I know that I haven't been looking for a job for too long but I've submitted over 20 resumes and I haven't gotten any call backs.

I am feeling frustrated and defeated and was hoping for some advice or words of encouragement :) thank you for your time!!

Complete your BSN, that will get noticed more

Thanks for the response! I agree 100% and I am definitely working on it. I am just trying to finish up my pre-req's to enter the program. However, I was hoping to find a job mean-while because money is tight right now :(.

Specializes in ED.

Where are you sending your resumes? Are you only applying to certain specialties or to a wide variety of places? Nursing homes, Med/surg would be good for a new grad but others have started in specialties that they wanted from the get go.

Where are you sending your resumes? Are you only applying to certain specialties or to a wide variety of places? Nursing homes, Med/surg would be good for a new grad but others have started in specialties that they wanted from the get go.

Hi! I've been sending my resumes online and I've attended some job fairs around here but they wanted nurses with experience :no: At first I was only trying to apply to Peds and OB since I've always wanted to work in the NICU. However, lately I've been applying everywhere. There is this hospital that was hiring for no experience in the L&D unit but they didn't call me back. I was thinking maybe I should get a fetal monitoring certification but I don't know how to do it? Any suggestions? I've read of some intermediate and advanced courses from the AWHONN but that seems to be for experienced nurses... I'm I wrong?

P.S. I know that I'm no position to be picky but I did clinicals rotation at a nursing home during my first semester of nursing school and I have to say that was the worst for me. I was miserable during my whole clinical experience. I have a really soft spot for the geriatric community and I would cry every time I would leave the nursing home. Which is why the only place I haven't applied is nursing homes. I feel like i would be miserable and I just can't bear to see geriatric patients like that. I did also have experience in the NICU during nursing school and I loved it. Weird some people might say the opposite :smug:

Specializes in critical care ICU.
I was thinking maybe I should get a fetal monitoring certification but I don't know how to do it?

Don't waste money on certifications that are so specific. It won't make you stand out so much that you'll be more likely chosen. The ACLS training is good though. Most acute care units require that the nurses get it soon after hiring, so if you already have it, then that's less work for them. I have found that maintaining constant communication with HR/residency coordinators has helped. I exchanged emails with a coordinator all throughout my last semester. She directly forwarded my resume to the ED nursing director. Unfortunately, they just had too many applicants, but it was a good try.

Also, follow up is key. If you score an interview, chase the job like your life depends on it. How to score an interview? That's the biggest hurdle. Be willing to apply in a unit you don't consider your favorite. And send application after application. I was rejected by one hospital 4 times before I gave up. I was rejected by another health system (which had several member hospitals) 8 times. They didn't reject you because they thought you were unfit. It was probably because they had 100 applicants just like you. Make sure you write a good cover letter. A lot of people skimp on that, and it does make a difference.

Dress perfectly for the interview, make a PORTFOLIO. Don't show up to the interview empty handed, or with only an extra copy of your resume. I made a whole binder that included: cover letter, resume, BLS/ACLS card, unofficial transcripts, letters or recommendation, proof of membership in professional organizations (ANA, AACN), a copy of my 12 page pediatrics care plan, and a picture of my service project for my community health class.

After the interview, send a thank you email/letter expressing interest and stating key qualities that you have that make you the best candidate. Keep it short though.

If given a second interview/shadow day, make sure to follow up again with another note and discuss what you enjoyed about your shadowing day. Compliment the nurse you followed! I said that my nurse made me feel welcomed and that I saw many qualities in her that I would strive toward in my nursing practice. This gives that nurse a great review, and it shows that you can be a team player.

PM me if you want to discuss more. I just went through this terrifying process and I am more than willing to share ideas. :D You've got this!!

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.

It sounds to me as if you are only applying for the most popular types of positions (OB, peds, etc.). Those are the ones for which you have the least chance. As those fields are popular, those employers can be very selective in choosing who they hire -- and you will most likely lose out to people with BSN's and those with experience.

I'm sorry to say that you are probably going to have to set your sites lower. Look at jobs that are less popular until you get that BSN and/or some RN experience.

Specializes in Psych ICU, addictions.

Moving to First Job Hunt Assistance Forum.

And I agree with llg: it looks like you're applying to the specialities that almost every other new grad--as well as many experienced nurses--also wants in on. So unless you have a leg up on the competition (e.g., related healthcare experience or did your preceptorship--not just a clinical rotation--in these areas), you're at a disadvantage.

IMO work on getting any nursing job first to build up experience. It may not be the best job or in an area you like, but it's a starting point and no one says you have to stay there forever. Then as you get experience and start networking, work your way over to your dream areas.

Alternatively, if you have the patience and the funds--and are willing to take a chance--you could keep applying just for the jobs in the areas that you want. But keep in mind that if you don't get hired after a year, you become an old new grad, which is even worse than being a new grad because you will no longer qualify for a lot of new grad positions. So there's a risk to being particular.

Best of luck in the job hunt.

PM me if you want to discuss more. I just went through this terrifying process and I am more than willing to share ideas. :D You've got this!!

Hi! Thank you so much for your words of encouragement plus the helpful info! I wish I could PM you right now but appeatently I have to meet the 15 post mark to unlock that feature and I am a newbie around here lol but as soon as I am able to I will send u a PM! Thank you so much!

Hi Meriwhen and llg!! Thank for the reply and the advice :yes: . That is very true that right now I am in no position to be picky :sorry:. However, lately I've been applying just about anywhere (except nursing homes). To land a spot anywhere in the hospital. I've been applying even to part time positions hoping to get my foot in the door... I attended a job fair today (again) and nothing... they don't want new grads :unsure:....

I was wondering can you do the ACLS online? Or are those not legitimate websites? There is a university around here having a 2 day from 8am-5pm ACLS course from American Heart Association for $200 (I believe it includes the BLS certification too). It just seems sooo long lol... I saw some online but I wonder if those are ok for hospitals or if they want it from another company?

Kataraang had some great tips for you - I have a binder (portfolio) as well, that I take to all interviews. Nothing looks worse during a first impression than not being able to produce any and all documents that are asked for (and many that aren't!)

20 applications seems awfully low to me. I applied to at least 35 before I got even ONE call back, and had applied upwards of 50 times before I got a job - that said, I got 3 interviews in a week, and had offers from all of them. My point is, once you get your foot in the door, often the flood gates will open, but it takes MUCH, much more effort and persistence to get that first nursing interview than likely any other field you have been in - because of saturation.

I agree with PPs that specialty positions may be too in demand by experienced nurses to warrant a new grad interview - then again, not always. Sometimes specialty units are looking to cut the budget by hiring new grads and pay them "minimum" RN wages. Keep applying to what you want, but a year in med/surg never hurt anyone, and it will vastly improve your organization and time management skills.

Lastly, I am of the opinion that unless you are rolling in extra $$, it is a waste to pay out of pocket for certifications. You facility will pay you to get them once you are hired. Spend your extra time and money on a new conservative, professional interview suit, an extra look at your resume (get rid of the skills section! It looks amateurish - You are an RN, they know what you can do!) work on your pre-reqs for BSN, and spend some time mock interviewing with a school job counselor.

It's only a matter of time.

BTW, as far as I am aware, you cannot do ACLS fully online (nor would you want to.) It has hands on components, such as intubating, practicing CPR, defib and giving rescue drugs that can only be learned by doing. Two 8 hr days for initial certification is the requirement, as far as I am aware, with a one day (in person) renew option for experienced providers. Having only renewed twice, I am in no way an experienced provider. Give me the full two day course as often as my facility will pay for it!!

+ Add a Comment