DUI and Nursing

Nurses Criminal

Published

Any help would help!

I currently live in Omaha, NE. I am attending one of the top nursing schools and it is very expensive. I work as a Medical Assistant in a private OBGYN office and have so much support continuing my education. The problem I am having is before the age of 21 I was charged with 2 DUI's and another in 2011 at the age of 23. I am now 29 and have grown so much and am just a different person. I am concerned I am going to get through nursing school and not be able to find a nursing job let alone sit for boards. I have spoken with the BON and they say it is a case by case basis. I have also spoken with the Director of Nursing and have gone over my past. The Direct of Nursing spoke with their attorney and she suggests I continue on with school. Does anyone know of anyone with a past such as horrible as mine that have had success? I don't want to give up but I also want to be realistic as this college is very expensive. Any advice would be great! If you are going to bash my past without knowing the full story then please feel free to keep moving and not bother commenting. I realize I made huge mistakes I do not need to hear any negativity regarding the issue.

Specializes in Registered Nurse.

You say you talked to the director of nursing- are you speaking of someone at your university ? I'm unclear on why they would need to consult with an attorney about that issue. But remember- if you aren't able to obtain your license its no skin off her back. They've still gotten their tuition money.

Im going to very honest with you. You are going to have a very rough road. You may be able to obtain a license - if really varies by state. You will almost certainly be given a license with restrictions wherein you'll be drug tested and likely have limitations on your practice for the first number of years. That it itself can make finding a job difficult.

Once you successfully obtain your license, the problem will be getting hired. As you know, all applications will ask about your criminal history. Being a new Grad with this kind of baggage is going to be a big hurdle. I am really happy you turned around your life - but I feel giving you the stock answer of "if you want it bad enough you can do it" would be doing you a disservice.

Specializes in Medical and general practice now LTC.
+ Add a Comment