I'm a sub school nurse. I love it ! I work in the county where I used to be a health assistant so luckily I'm pretty familiar with policies and procedures.
The main tips I can give are:
1. Ask lots of questions. I ask questions all the time. There is nothing wrong with that. Better to ask then to make a mistake.
2. Arrive at your site atleast 30 min. early to orient yourself with the layout of the health room. You don't want it to be a scavenger hunt every time you need something.
3. Most health rooms leave a sub book where you can find important info.
4. If you know nothing else make sure you know who has special health needs and who has medications. Very important.
5. When it doubt call the parent. You are new and don't know these kids. Usually if a kid complains of something and I send them back to class and they come back again, I call home. Better safe then sorry.
6. Communicate well with the lead nurse and teachers. ( I know, I know common sense right?)
7. Last but not least, Have fun !
I'm sure bergen, praiser, or purple scrubs
might chime in. They are full of wisdom and great advice.