Refresher CourseRegister Today!
- by luv2swim May 8, '09I've been home with my children and out of Nsg for 12yrs. I want to get back to it but feel a refresher course is needed first. I was wondering if anyone has taken a course lately. I have a couple options. The course I would like to take is $1800 and includes a clinical -Is that worth it? The online course I found is less expensive- There's an option to arrange a clinical yourself- or not do a clinical at all.
- May 11, '09 by Pooksmom1996I took a refresher course that included class lectures, "lab" practice and clinical experience with patients. That was very helpful for me because I had been out of the field for 13 years. The lectures, lab practice and clinical gave me much more confidence in my ability to get back into nursing and do a good job. It was also very helpful for me to be able to talk to the instructor and ask questions. I am so glad that I did not take an online course because the hands-on practice and the one-on-one relationship with my instructor taught me a lot.
Best of luck!
PooksmomLast edit by Pooksmom1996 on May 11, '09
- May 19, '09 by bakermamaLuv2swim,
I would definitely take the course with the clinical component. I took one that I thought would have a clinical portion (it was much less expensive), and it turns out it did not. The clinical practice would've given me the extra confidence I need in finding employment. At the time, I didn't think the price (almost 3 x the cost of the course I took) was worth it. Now I regret it. Best of luck to you! (I, too, have been out of nursing >12 years.)
- Jun 5, '09 by lorettapI am enjoying my refresher course in fact I love it . But I have one question why is it there are some nurses that welcome you with open arms and embrace you and others don't? I have worked with a wonderful intelligent RN willing to spend time and teach but today she was the charge nurse so could not work directly with me and was very hesitant to assign me to another nurse so I asked her if I could work with the CNA( I am an LPN) I needed to see exactly what there duties were. The other nurses on the floor were not willing to be as helpful. As it turned out I had a great day . Got some real patient care done( which I really enjoyed) But I think it is sad that everyone doesn't want to help you. I also got to help my RN with her duties, so I feel like I got the best of both that RN and The CNA.
- Jun 6, '09 by thekidI signed up for a clinical refresher course in Oakland this month, looking forward to it!
- Jun 8, '09 by linda1959Curious what the OP ended up doing.
I took an online refresher course last year. I used Consolidated Learning based in VA. I arranged my clinical with a local school nurse because school nursing is what I wanted to do with this later part of my career. Being a peds nurse, I did not want to do adult med-surg as my clinical.
Also, in order to pass some courses, you need to do some specific clinicals according to state regs. ---something to consider.
- Jun 8, '09 by luv2swimI'm going with the 2/days week for 6 weeks refresher course in the Fall-1day-theory, 1day clinical. A little expensive but I think it will be worth it!
- Jun 8, '09 by lorettapIt is def worth it ! You will be glad you did it good luck and keep me updated. i only have 22 hours clinical left will do 12 hours fri 6/12 and finish the rest in a simulated lab. only two weeks left online . I am getting all my paperwrk together now to send to Fl BON for license by endorsement. I will keep you updated