New Grad--how to prepare for 1st job as PsychRNRegister Today!
This is a discussion on New Grad--how to prepare for 1st job as PsychRN in Psychiatric Nursing, part of Nursing Specialties ... Hey everyone! So I am starting orientation at my first job next week! I'll be working on an...by Stephieee Dec 5, '12Hey everyone!
So I am starting orientation at my first job next week! I'll be working on an inpatient adult psychiatric unit. I am wondering if I should do anything to prepare for this. Should I go over drugs, or anything? I sold my psych text book but I do have my drug book. I feel like it has been a long time since I've done anything nursing (graduated in May) and it's been even longer since I've had psych nursing. I'd like to be fully prepared and rock out when I start my new job!
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=800906©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,686 Views
- Dec 5, '12 by elkparkReviewing the commonly used psych meds would certainly be a good idea. Also reviewing therapeutic communication. Best wishes!
- Dec 5, '12 by pamnockMeds are most important, also Axis V, GAF, and common diagnoses as well as their abbreviations: PDD, ODD, ADHD, etc.. Be very familiar wih your units PRN's and drugs the doctor may prescribe that may interact with them (for example, I've had doctors prescribe Geodon and had Thorazine as a PRN).
- Dec 7, '12 by TawnyRNGreat comments, psych meds and PRN's a must know. As well as the common psych diagnosis. Read up on de-escalation as well as your place of employments procedures for what to do if your patient gets "out of control". And above all, go in with a gentle hand, kind heart and open mind. These patients can be amazing! Enjoy your first job, psych nursing was my first job as well, and I haven't left the field since. Good luck!
- Jan 8 by resilientnurseCongratulations! How are things going with your new job? I graduate in four months and will be traveling down the same road as well.
- Jan 9 by serenitylove14I will also hopefully be starting in Psych Nursing. How is everything going for you? I also graduated in May.
- Feb 14 by nervousnurseI am interested in psych nursing and would also like to know how you're doing....Hope it's going well!
- Feb 16 by beckycowellSomeone a long long time ago gave me some advice that still stands and that was........ Just be kind :-)
- Feb 17 by serenitylove14How are things going in your position?
I start my day shift Psych position March 4 and wondering what to expect?