SON personal essay, topic adviceRegister Today!
- by karo6087 Oct 16, '12Hi everyone, i've been lurking on the site for ages stocking up on everyone's advice and information, so thanks! haha.
I am finally applying to a program this winter and have recently started working on my personal essay. Part of the essay says to explain any class withdrawals or poor grades in your transcript and I wanted to touch on this because I have a few of both in mine from undergrad.
I was raped halfway through my college career and it completely wrecked me in many ways, academics not excluded. I included this story in my personal statement essay, not for sympathy, but for understanding. Do you think this is a no-no? So many people say to personalize your essay- I just don't want them to think i'm making excuses or vying for the sympathy vote. The truth is I was a Dean's list student on an academic scholarship before this happened to me and afterwards I was just barely skating by- and I want to make sure they know that now, 5 years later I am back to being the student I was before.
What do y'all think? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
- Oct 16, '12 by zoe92Personally, I would include it. You do not need to explain every little detail about the rape, but I would touch on the event. It explains why your grades were poor and what caused this sudden disruption for you (a good student). I also think it shows that you have overcome this and although it will always be a part of your life, you have been able to move on and return to some sort of normalcy. You are obviously a very strong person. Good luck to you!
- Oct 22, '12 by karo6087I'm not sure why this topic was closed on me, as I am still looking for opinions, did I violate something?
- Oct 22, '12 by KimynurseI would explain why nursing is your passion, and would include it.
- Oct 23, '12 by smoupI was abused growing up and the PTSD got really bad in college. My first two years I had a 3.2 GPA each semester and my last two years was getting 3.5 each semester. I mentioned it in my essay, but like was said, no details.
I think I did something like, "I know i can handle the demands of nursing school because while in undergrad. . . . . ."