Question about becoming a nurseRegister Today!
This is a discussion on Question about becoming a nurse in Pre-Nursing Student, part of Nursing Student ... I'm not sure where this should be posted so please move it if needed. My husband is in the army...by ksuheather Dec 3, '12I'm not sure where this should be posted so please move it if needed.
My husband is in the army and we could possibly move to Germany this spring. I have finished my pre reqs for nursing school and was planning on going to school at our next duty station. Can I go to school in Germany and get licensed here in the states? Or do I need to go to school state side. Our other choices are NY, CO and HI. THanks
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=800605©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 582 Views
- Dec 3, '12 by loriangel14You would need to investigate if prerequisites would transfer, how much it would cost and you would need to be fluent in German.As to whether it would get you a license in the US only the BON could tell you.
- Dec 3, '12 by KelRN215I don't think you can usually endorse your license from another country to the US. You usually have to take NCLEX.
- Dec 3, '12 by ksuheatherThat is what I figured. We have a list of 4 possible places and Germany is not high on my list because it sets back my school timeline.
- Dec 3, '12 by FLICURNUniversity offers quite a bit at the military installations, however I don't know if it offers an entire nursing program. I could see how NCLEx could also be a problem. Granted it has been almost 10 years since I have moved back stateside, but I vaguely remember them actually having a few brick and mortar campuses throughout Germany also. One being around Ramstein Air Base, which I am sure they would offer more classes at. Contact your education office and see what they can tell you before you go. Good Luck with your search!
- Dec 3, '12 by FLICURNOops that is supposed to say University of Maryland..... so sorry!
- Dec 3, '12 by ajreneeI don't know about Germany, but one of my instructors was a nurse in Holland. when she moved here nothing transferred. She had to start from scratch with pre reqs and everything. She just finally got her masters last year.
- Dec 4, '12 by zoe92I would try for one of the states before considering Germany. My S/O is in the military and had a chance of going overseas, which scared me because I would want to go with him but I would have to put everything on hold. Luckily, he got Dover AFB. I think if you were still in pre req phase then going overseas would be fine and you could finish online but I do not think you can actually do the nursing part overseas and have it as a valid degree in the states.