A&P 1 &2 in the summer. Am I crazy? - page 2
by AspiringNurseMW | 1,788 Views | 22 Comments
Hey everyone. I am 25, have a 2 year old daughter and due to a loss of job yet again I am trying to get into nursing school for Fall 2014. That leaves me the summer, Fall & spring semesters to complete my pre-reqs. I will not... Read More
- 0Feb 10, '13 by babyroweI took A&P I and I don't think I would have been able to take both. You really want to make sure you do well in your pre-req's so you have to be careful about taking too many classes. I bought a small paperback book called Getting Ready for Anatomy & Physiology and it really saved me! Also, I'd recommend getting Chemistry For Biology Students. I also put everything on index cards. Good luck! You can do this!
- 0Feb 10, '13 by SarahAnn1993if it were me and I wasn't working and my child was in daycare I would not take both at the same time. You don't know what theprofessor will be like and a and p can get challenging. I've aced 35 hours of college classes and have recent ally began a and p and its the most difficult class I've ever took. Take my advice, one at a time. Even if you can do it... don't take the chance.
- 0Feb 10, '13 by Blue Felt FedoraI honestly think it depends on your school and your instructors. I took and intense A&P 2 class last summer and it kicked my butt. I did nothing but A&P from the moment I got up in the morning until I went to bed at night. I spent every possible moment in Open Lab. I give a tremendous amount of credit to my mother, who stayed with us for the summer and took care of my house and my family (including cooking all the meals, doing all the shopping, and taking my kids where they needed to go), leaving me available to eat, sleep, and breathe A&P. If I were to be totally truthful, I would have to say I would never do that again. And even if I wanted to, my husband wouldn't allow it.
I will say I'm a bit older than you are, as are my children. I'm in my 40s and my kids are teenagers.
I passed with a high A, and I'm proud to say I did it, but it left me absolutely exhausted. I would suggest talking to other students at your school, especially those who have done it in the past.
- 0Feb 10, '13 by double_minorityWell I am, was, a student who's done it, AP 1&2 + micro and psych2, not all at the same time, at her school, CUNY City Tech only during summers and my advice again is that it is not impossible but challenging. To me OP, from your writings and other posts, you are highly motivated!
My .02 :-)
- 0Feb 11, '13 by kiasr10My advice to the OP is this. At the end of the day the only person who can answer the question is you. If you believe in yourself and know that your going to put the work in to do what you have to do then go for it !! If you have any doubts I wouldn't do it. And also the fact taht you have kids you would have to make sure they will be taken care of at all times. Not only that prepared for any emergencies like if they get sick or just anything? If you have that taken care of, and extra money in the bank. Go for it!
- 0Feb 12, '13 by combsj25Anything you set your mind to is doable. However, because you have the time I don't understand your need to take AP 1 and 2 in an accelerated fashion. AP is tough, but it is also very interesting and will be the back bone of your entire nursing program. I personally wouldn't want to rush through those (unless I had to). I think you could end up cramming too much versus learning. These are of course only my thoughts and opinions, but if it were me and since you have the time I would receommend the following:
- AP1 and another required class or 2 (like Psych and Math) this summer.
- AP 2 and Chemistry in Fall
- and Micro and English in Spring
(or some combination of this, but bottom line AP1 traditional format one semester and AP2 traditional the following...and spread out the sciences as much as possible. I too am an A student - and had a hard time with balancing AP1 with Micro last semester. Earned an A in AP1 and B+ in Micro)
At any rate Good Luck whatever you decide to do.
And now I really should get off this forum and go study for my AP2 exam 2!!