I'd love some input

  1. Thanks in advance to anyone reading this! It's going to be a long one, so you may want to grab a snack

    I have a bit of a dilemma that I'd like input on.

    I'm graduating next month with my associates in biology. There are three programs I'm applying to for Spring 2018.

    One is an ADN program, which is my last choice. If I go this route, I'll start working on bridging ASAP as the demand here is for BSN prepared nurses.

    The real dilemma is between two BSN programs.

    Program A is an online program with local clinicals. It's a good program with decent reviews and a high NCLEX pass rate (~97% I think). It's a "15 month" program - I use quotations because they have a lot more pre-reqs, so in the end it's about the same amount of time. I've been accepted to the University, but I'm not done with the classes I need to apply to the nursing program.

    Program B is an on campus program. This University has a great reputation in my state, but their NCLEX pass rates aren't great (mid 80's). This is the program I've been working towards for the past three years. This was my dream program.

    They are comparable in price and length.

    My main issue is, I won't find out until mid-September if I'm accepted to either program, and I have classes that I would have to take over the summer/fall semester.

    For A, I'll have to take 5 more classes over the summer/fall.
    For B, I have 1 more class to take, which I'm already registered for.

    For A, I'll have a packed schedule until my program starts (assuming I get accepted).
    For B, I'll have the fall off, during which I'd attend an EMT-B certification program.

    For A, they only consider your program work for entry, not the classes I took 20 years ago and failed. My GPA for this would be 3.7, giving me a better chance to get in. They require the HESI, and I got a 90.5 on it. This program has no "breaks". This program is only contracted with one local hospital, so it'll limit my exposure to different employment opportunities.
    For B, they take every single grade you've ever made (including remedial classes) into consideration. This would put my GPA around a 3.5. Which isn't as competitive as I'd like, obviously - this is causing me a lot of worry. They require the TEAS, which I'm scheduled to take late-May. This program will give me summers off. This program has clinicals all over town, giving me good exposure to potential employers.

    I have to make a decision pretty soon, because the EMT program application deadline is looming.

    I feel like I have a better opportunity to get into Program A, but if I don't, I'll have wasted a lot of time and money. And I don't want to choose A because it's the "safer" option, when I've wanted to attend program B for so very long.

    I don't know what to do. Any type of input is appreciated.
    •  
  2. Poll: Which path?

    • ADN - BSN bridge later

      6.67% 1
    • Program A

      6.67% 1
    • Program B

      86.67% 13
    • Obligatory other

      0% 0
    15 Votes
  3. 9 Comments

  4. by   mindofmidwifery
    Program B! If it's your dream program, why settle for less? Yeah, the NCLEX pass rates are lower but that's still high and with your track record you'd probably pass even if they were at 60%. Being exposed to many clinical sites is also a plus because you can get a feel for many hospitals and where you'd want to potentially work. Finally, being on campus is a huge plus to me because you're in the environment and are able to focus a lot more. You also form better relationships with your classmates and instructors vs being online.
  5. by   PrereqTaker89
    If I were you I would register for all those classes for option A and come September you can either continue taking option A classes or drop them for option B (upon acceptance).

    Have you applied to the ADN? Why is it your last resort? Low pass rates?

    My dream school is our local university but it's so stinking expensive! My BSN there will cost over 20k verses <7k at the ADN
  6. by   thewhitechickoj
    I would also go with option B, if I were you. Go for your dream school! Even though the NCLEX pass rate is lower, it's still at the national average. And I also agree with mindofmidwifery that with your track record and attitude, that you would have no problem passing the NCLEX regardless of which school you went to. With your HESI score, I think you'll rock the TEAS test. Would mid-September be too late to add or drop classes? I'm not too familiar with the semester system, I'm afraid.
  7. by   chakra_'19
    I think program B as well because it's in person giving you that exposure and honestly you wouldn't have to do the EMT with all the exposure but if you still wanted to do EMT then it leaves it open. The NCLEX pass rates may be on the lower side but that doesn't mean you can't pass it! About your GPA maybe you could take an extra class to bring it up higher even though that 3.5 is still pretty competitive. Above anything, you said it was your dream school so that should be indication enough!
  8. by   ItsThatJenGirl
    Quote from PrereqTaker89
    If I were you I would register for all those classes for option A and come September you can either continue taking option A classes or drop them for option B (upon acceptance).

    Have you applied to the ADN? Why is it your last resort? Low pass rates?

    My dream school is our local university but it's so stinking expensive! My BSN there will cost over 20k verses <7k at the ADN
    Yeah, the ADN program here has a pass rate of about 75%. The demand for BSN prepared students is what's driving me to go straight for the BSN though.
  9. by   ItsThatJenGirl
    Thank you all for your input! I appreciate it!

    I think my fear of not being accepted to my dream school is the driving force behind my indecision. I'm going to take my summer classes as planned, do the EMT in the fall because I really want to (plus, it'll give me an in as a tech in the ER) and cross my fingers. If I don't get in, I'll reevaluate. What's another six months at this point?

    Again, thank you all!
  10. by   Roasted.Peanuts
    I'd was going to say go Option B first, then ADN second, but that NCLEX passing rate is rather low. The ADN program I was accepted to has a 91% passing rate, it is my third choice school, but it is still a very good program. I hope you figure out what you need to do.
  11. by   Eleven
    I voted for A (duh, we would be classmates ) but then I read everyone's responses and maybe B is the better option for you. This is definitely not an easy decision. I'm going through a similar thought process myself with ADN vs the BSN, they require so many extra classes! But like you said, what's a few extra months?

    I look forward to hearing how your TEAS goes and what you decide.
  12. by   pappa22v
    Hey Jen, I was in the same dilemma this past year!!! Here's my input:

    School A:
    Makes it seem like if you check the boxes, boom you apply and are accepted. Not the case, many students I know who applied there (myself included) were mislead to believe that acceptance was in high range, the result... I know about 200 people (not even overexaggerating) who are on the waitlist. Their spots in our local area are very limited, and they are all 40mins to an 1+ hour out of our city. (Things to think about). Also, your HESI score does not really count, they only care if you met their benchmark. Without additional considerations, it is nearly impossible to get in on your first try.



    If you want to chat more, feel free to PM me! Good Luck whatever you choose!

close