How old were you when starting prereqs and did it discourage you? - Page 4Register Today!
- Dec 13, '12 by student foreverQuote from princesax11You say you want a NEW way to look at things I will tell you this: you paid for your brother's master's degree before you got your associate's degree. We all did! A gov't job that paid for him is you and me and all taxpayers... so! Maybe you could ask him to reciprocate and pay for yours since you paid for his...haha just joking but it is true after all...Thank you! I think I had higher expectations for myself because my brother. He had his bachelor's degree at 21 with a government job and master's degree at 23 (paid for by his job). I need to stop comparing myself to other people and their accomplishments.
- Dec 13, '12 by calinursestudent818I've been interested in nursing since I was a little girl but I also LOVED Journalism, so when I got into college, I choose to major in Journalism. I got my degree, then spent the last 11 years working as a Publicist & it was a decent career but I realized that I was never happy doing it, I just felt a void.
About 2 years ago, the nursing itch was back in full force and I started looking into nursing programs. I really wish I had choosen nursing instead of Journalism the first time around but hey it is what it is right?
And now, here I am, taking the plunge into nursing at 41. I'll be 44 when I finish nursing school. And heck yeah I'm terrified! Lol
But I've always been a firm believer in the fact that its NEVER too late follow your passion/do what makes you happy & that sometimes one degree just isnt enough! So go for it!Last edit by calinursestudent818 on Dec 13, '12
- Dec 13, '12 by EMT89I will be 26 when I finish. I have a Bachelors and this time around this nursing degree is not as intimidating as it first seemed. I feel that I am well prepared on my study habits. I don't feel the need to go out every night or weekend. I actually enjoy the fact that I'm not the typical age of a college student.
- Dec 14, '12 by PalmHarborMomI started my pre-req's in 2010 at 39, graduated with an AA in 2011 and just finished my first semester of the BSN program at USF. Do not worry about what your brother did. It is great that he was able to go full steam ahead an get his degree sooner. We all have a path to take in life and the journey is not about where (or when) you start.... it is when you end up. You will do just fine.
I am the oldest person in my class of 120. Many of the students are only 19yrs old and it does not bother me a bit. When I was their age, I was in the Navy working on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier. My class tends to not be judgmental and we embrace whatever our classmates has to offer. All of us are great students but once in nursing school we all learn that our strengths vary. Age has so far not played a role in the way that classmates treat me.
Be proud that you are on the path to success!
- Dec 14, '12 by Keeka_Prenurse13I just got done with my first semester of pre-reqs... I'm only 19 years old. I'm not discouraged at all but I am a little nervous and scared... And not because of my age... What if I don't make it? I've never done anything like this before and I never given anything my all like I am now...