BSN program that only looks at pre-req GPA, not overall?Register Today!
- by ChattNurseHopeful Sep 23, '11Does anyone known of a BSN program anywhere that only looks at pre-requisite GPA? My overall isn't great because I goofed around my first bit in college. After graduating and having my bachelors in Marketing a couple years I am ready to be serious about my BSN. Anywhere in the US is an option for me. I'm open. Currently live in TN.
Thanks in advance!
- Sep 23, '11 by Reese2012Purdue Calumet (in Hammond, IN) will look at your new grades vs. the old one's if your classes are older than 5yrs. I am repeating a lot of classes to bump up my GPA to get into this school. Call or e-mail the nursing office at schools in your area and see what they have to say.
- Sep 23, '11 by soxgirl2008UW-Milwaukee in Wisconsin only looks at your pre-req GPA.
Also consider looking into Accelerated BSN programs since you already have a bachelors, it'd probably take less time.
I think UW-Oshkosh might only look at your pre-req GPA too...but I'm not positive.Last edit by soxgirl2008 on Sep 23, '11
- Sep 29, '11 by ShafmicIdaho State University at the ISU-Meridian (Boise) Health Sciences Campus. Great School, program near 100% NCLEX pass rate.
Program Starts in January, but the application deadline has already passed for this incoming class. If its a good possibility, its very affordable if you establish residency in Idaho before you start.
- Sep 29, '11 by sgo13Some schools will also let you fill out a form and petition to get a "fresh start". In my case the classes (from 20 years ago) stay on my transcript and count...but don't get figured into my GPA. My advisor told me about it..it is on their website but you almost have to know about it and be looking for it to find it.
- Nov 17, '11 by SELnurseUW-Milwaukee looks at both GPA's but weighs more on the nursing GPA instead of overall. They also look at more than just your GPA. Volunteer work is huge for the application. Also, if you write a great essay, you're golden. I know some people with a 3.5GPA that were rejected and some with a 2.9 that were accepted. It's what you can bring to the table that counts... =)
- Nov 17, '11 by soxgirl2008Are you sure UW-Milwaukee looks at both? I go to UW-Parkside which is the consortial program for UWM, it's the same program as UWM, same requirements and same professors and your degree says UW-Milwaukee and I know here they only look at your nursing GPA, and I was told by my advisor that it was the same for both programs.
- Nov 24, '11 by SELnurseI think they look at both, but focus on the nursing GPA. That's what my adviser told me, at least. But I've noticed that college advisers don't really know what's going on anyways. So, you may be right!