Am I capable in being an RN?Register Today!
- by JazzyJasmine Jun 13, '12I got interested in nursing because I love to help people. I just feel satisfied when I go out and serve others, especially those who are hurt and broken, both physically and emotionally. However, science is my least favorite subject and I'm afraid I won't be able to memorize all the different medical terms and human biological terms. I am willing to learn the skills in being a nurse, but I'm afraid I'm not good enough. I know nursing is hard, but what if I'm not capable even though I have the motivation and faith?Last edit by Joe V on Jun 18, '12 : Reason: formatting
- Jun 13, '12 by shay&lynnbest words of advice -
YOU WILL NEVER KNOW UNLESS YOU TRY!
and when you try, give it your best shot! that way if you don't make it, you will know that you went out fighting!
and don't let the sciences get the best of you!! math and i don't get along, but i worked my behind off and got a 100% on our first semester math exam.
- Jun 13, '12 by KKJA8855I think you are more capable than you think you are and the fact that you're worrying about this shows you are diligent enough in your passion to become a nurse and that you will make it. If you want something badly enough, you will achieve it. I just finished up all of my pre-requisites to enter a RN program and I'm not going to sugar-coat it, they were difficult BUT my desire to learn all I can and actually being interested in what I am learning helped me out tremendously! Just study as much as you can, use flash cards (especially for Anatomy and Microbiology) and try to relate each system to other systems. You will be surprised how much you can retain and how well you end up doing- but that's only if you really want to be successful in the field, like I said if you want it badly enough it WILL happen for you. BEST of luck to you!
- Jun 13, '12 by rachtollHello Jazzyjasmine! I think that if you have the interest, once you begin your studies you'll realize how interesting the information is and there is no reason to necessarily memorize everything. It is a lot of information, however, a lot of the information is understanding how everything works together (in the beginning). I can only account for the beginning. I am almost finished with my prerequisits (this is my last semester). Anyway, you just take it chapter by chapter and study to understand the information.
- Jun 13, '12 by somedaypedsScience and math are not my strongest subjects either. I joked with my classmates that I don't why I became a nurse - I am not good at science or math and I have no therapeutic communication skills!
But as it turns out - I got through school and I am a great nurse. If this is what you want, don't let science get in your way. Work hard and learn it. Figure out what helps you - flash cards (I use these a lot!), study groups (I do this too), tutoring (and this when needed!).
- Jun 13, '12 by newbtonursingI am a strong believer that you can do anything you put your mind to....so if yo WANT it, GO FOR IT! I agree, you wont know until you try.
I am older than most, and I had some doubts, esspecially about Anatomy and Physiology. I studied that much harder because I didnt want to fail, and guess what....I got an A++. So you can do it, too.
If you never try, you will never know what you're capable of. You're likely to regret not trying in the long run.
Sometimes, we can be our own worst enemy.
- Jun 13, '12 by ♑ Capricorn ♑Quote from jazzyjasmineif you don't try, you will never know. its easy to be afraid of the unknown. but, there is a time and place when you gotta stand up to it and say, "hey! i'm worth more than that. i believe i can do it, so i'm gonna try". fear is only an obstacle in your path, push it out of the way and move on.[color=#333333]i got interested in nursing because i love to help people. i just feel satisfied when i go out and serve others, especially those who are hurt and broken, both physically and emotionally. however, science is my least favorite subject and i'm afraid i won't be able to memorize all the different medical terms and human biological terms. i am willing to learn the skills in being a nurse, but i'm afraid i'm not good enough. i know nursing is hard, but what if i'm not capable even though i have the motivation and faith?
- Jun 14, '12 by 19nariKayou can do it work hard try your best on those prereqs they come back to bite you in the behind!!! IDK if you believe in God but if you dont seek him and find power in prayer!!!
- Jun 14, '12 by christina_ncFirst you should make yourself try it, then you can tell whether you are capable or not. When you come up with some problems, bravely face it. Hold on! You'll never know whether you can do it well only if you insist on it. There's saying in my country: perseverence is the most important merit for learning. Hope you will get well with the stuff. Nursing is real hard.
PS. This is my first comment on this web, and your post is the first one too. Wish to chat with you more on nursing.
- Jun 14, '12 by christina_ncSome practical advice. So considerate and encouraging. lol.