OSHU Accelerated BSN to MSN Nurse-Midwifery 2013 - page 2
by fishe23a | 10,286 Views | 66 Comments
Hi all, I have seen GREAT threads for the 2011 and 2012 applicants and cohorts to OHSU's AccBacc to MSN programs, but cannot find one for 2013. Someone suggested we make one for the 2013 applicants, so here goes! This is for... Read More
- 0Feb 12, '13 by fishe23aThirty-six! That seems like such a large number compared to the number that get accepted....I know they said we shouldn't expect to hear before the end of February at the earliest but it's three weeks out from my interview and I'm starting to get a little antsy and nervous for sure! Fingers crossed for all of us...
- 0Feb 19, '13 by jpdxHi everyone! I didn't know this thread existed, I'm so glad I found it! I interviewed for midwifery on Feb 1st. I was told that they would be notifying us in "the last two weeks" of February. I've been checking my phone, email, and online app constantly and I'm driving myself a little crazy. I hope we find out soon!
Are you all waiting to hear back from other schools, too? What do you like or dislike about OHSU?
- 0Feb 19, '13 by fishe23ajpdx, Congrats on your interview! I interviewed the 24th and the extra week's wait is killing me.
There are also threads on this website from the 2012 and 2011 Midwifery AccBacc cohorts, and from what I have gathered from those threads, the earliest that phone calls were made / letters were sent over the past few years has been March 2nd-March 8th, with some initial accepted applicants not hearing until March 11th/12th. So I hadn't really started checking my phone yet!! Anyway - maybe this year they are pushing the dates forward, because when I was asked, "the end of February" was what I was told, though I am not holding my breath due to other years' experience!
Weirdly enough, some applicants received phone calls only for acceptance, while some received letters only for acceptance! So some people who were constantly checking their phones ended up having to find out from the mailman in the end!
- 0Feb 21, '13 by mitbdeHi everyone! jpdx, congrats on your interview! I applied to OHSU for a number of reasons, but I especially like the small cohort and opportunity to do so many clinical hours in the faculty practice. I think it's pretty uncommon for a such a busy, well-established practice to allow students a lot of access. Other programs I've considered sort of "farm out" their midwifery students to other agencies (which can be good for getting a variety of experiences), but I'm personally looking for more of an apprenticeship model and OHSU has that. Also, OHSU is where it's at for waterbirth so we will be well-trained in that aspect. I have a feeling that waterbirth is going to catch on across the US in the next decade or so. Portland is one of the most progressive cities in the US which = a great environment for learning about midwifery and how to advocate for our convictions! Good luck ladies!
- 0Feb 21, '13 by jpdxThanks kdrade and fishe23a!
kdrade, that's a good point about OHSU being more of an apprenticeship-type model, that is my impression too.
I agree, I am so excited about the groundbreaking work OHSU is doing on waterbirth, and on VBAC as well! Potentially one of the most progressive hospital childbirth practices in the country.
I've lived in Portland all my life (less than 10 minutes away from OHSU actually!), except for the past several years when I've gone back and forth to the east coast for undergrad. If anyone has any questions about living in Portland, ask away!