OSHU Accelerated BSN to MSN Nurse-Midwifery 2013 - Page 2Register Today!
- Feb 8 by kdradeI was told at the potluck that they were interviewing 36 for midwifery. Anyone else getting antsy? How did you feel about your interviews?
- Feb 12 by fishe23aThirty-six! That seems like such a large number compared to the number that get accepted....I know they said we shouldn't expect to hear before the end of February at the earliest but it's three weeks out from my interview and I'm starting to get a little antsy and nervous for sure! Fingers crossed for all of us...
- Feb 19 by jpdxHi everyone! I didn't know this thread existed, I'm so glad I found it! I interviewed for midwifery on Feb 1st. I was told that they would be notifying us in "the last two weeks" of February. I've been checking my phone, email, and online app constantly and I'm driving myself a little crazy. I hope we find out soon!
Are you all waiting to hear back from other schools, too? What do you like or dislike about OHSU?
- Feb 19 by fishe23ajpdx, Congrats on your interview! I interviewed the 24th and the extra week's wait is killing me.
There are also threads on this website from the 2012 and 2011 Midwifery AccBacc cohorts, and from what I have gathered from those threads, the earliest that phone calls were made / letters were sent over the past few years has been March 2nd-March 8th, with some initial accepted applicants not hearing until March 11th/12th. So I hadn't really started checking my phone yet!! Anyway - maybe this year they are pushing the dates forward, because when I was asked, "the end of February" was what I was told, though I am not holding my breath due to other years' experience!
Weirdly enough, some applicants received phone calls only for acceptance, while some received letters only for acceptance! So some people who were constantly checking their phones ended up having to find out from the mailman in the end!
- Feb 21 by kdradeHi everyone! jpdx, congrats on your interview! I applied to OHSU for a number of reasons, but I especially like the small cohort and opportunity to do so many clinical hours in the faculty practice. I think it's pretty uncommon for a such a busy, well-established practice to allow students a lot of access. Other programs I've considered sort of "farm out" their midwifery students to other agencies (which can be good for getting a variety of experiences), but I'm personally looking for more of an apprenticeship model and OHSU has that. Also, OHSU is where it's at for waterbirth so we will be well-trained in that aspect. I have a feeling that waterbirth is going to catch on across the US in the next decade or so. Portland is one of the most progressive cities in the US which = a great environment for learning about midwifery and how to advocate for our convictions! Good luck ladies!
- Feb 21 by jpdxThanks kdrade and fishe23a!
kdrade, that's a good point about OHSU being more of an apprenticeship-type model, that is my impression too.
I agree, I am so excited about the groundbreaking work OHSU is doing on waterbirth, and on VBAC as well! Potentially one of the most progressive hospital childbirth practices in the country.
I've lived in Portland all my life (less than 10 minutes away from OHSU actually!), except for the past several years when I've gone back and forth to the east coast for undergrad. If anyone has any questions about living in Portland, ask away!
- Feb 26 by hannahzpJust found this thread! I applied to the psych program and I had my Skype interview last Wednesday which went really well. They said we should be hearing in the next couple of weeks but didn't give a specific date.
- Feb 26 by ecableGlad yours went well, Hannah! I'm not as sure as I would like to be about mine. I was very nervous, so I thought maybe it could have gone a little better? I just hope the fact that I would really like to be accepted, and for the right reasons, came across. We shall see!
- Feb 26 by hannahzpI know, sometimes our nerves get the best of us. Well I hope you get in! Was your interview in person? I wish I had been able to go up there.
- Feb 27 by jpdxHas anyone heard back for CNM yet? I got a call from an unknown Oregon number yesterday and my heart rate shot up, but alas, it was a telemarketer