Direct Entry MSN Programs 2013 - page 13

Anyone on here applying to direct entry MSN programs that begin in summer or fall of 2013? I think I have finalized my list of programs to apply to, and I am beginning to get everything together to... Read More

  1. by   kdiem
    Does anyone know if there is an advantage to apply to the early decision for JHU? And if you were offered a position, how quickly do you have to accept this? I'm wondering if I should click it or not....
  2. by   the healer's art
    Kdiem, I hope you know early decision is binding? So you basically HAVE to accept. You do have a higher chance of getting in because you are only compared to other people applying early decision. The other advantage is you find out earlier than others too. I have no idea how quickly you have to respond. If you don't get in early decision you are also considered for regular decision.

    Does anyone know what a good GRE score is on the new GRE? I am trying to decide if I should re-take it. My favorite schools don't require me to take it but I could send them my scores to give me an edge. But I don't know if I did well enough for it to give me an edge.

    I know most schools used to say they wanted a minimum of 1000 (500 verbal 500 quant) and on the new scale that would be a a 153 verbal and 144 quant which would be a 297. I did better than that but that's like the minimum. What's the average or what would be a good score? You can answer in the old or new version.

    I got a 315 (165 verbal and 153 quant). Is it worth sending my scores? Or should I re-take it and send my scores? Or just leave it alone and not do either?
  3. by   kdiem
    I've decided to just stick with regular decision lol.

    And healer, I think that score is definitely great. Submit them for sure and focus on the other parts of your applications
  4. by   the healer's art
    Oops it won't let me edit my post but I actually got a 150 in quant. Does that change your answer?

    Yeah I wouldn't do early decision either unless you were 100% sure JHU was your first choice.
  5. by   kdiem
    Jhu is on my top 3 list! And JHU is definitely no back up. But I would like to go somewhere closer to home if possible (I live in California). I believe a 150 is still great. As long as you are meeting the average or slightly above, the schools are happy with the score. I think they just want to make sure you can at least meet the suggested score. I wouldn't waste my time studying and retaking the test. Spend more time on the personal statements, many schools are saying that's the more important component!
  6. by   morganw1
    Does anyone know about interviews for Columbia? is it like Penn where they let you know if you're invited to one in December?
  7. by   hopefulnurse24
    the healers art, your GRE score is great! I wouldn't worry about it. I believe that the personal statements are most important as well. This is where they get a good idea of who you are and what you want to accomplish.

    I know nothing about interviews for Columbia, unfortunately... but I'm already getting nervous about hearing for interviews for other places! I have no idea how I'm going to make it through this semester, and half of next, while waiting to hear back from places. I sort of wish time would fly by.
  8. by   morganw1
    It's okay I just read on a previous thread from 2011 that they don't do interviews at Columbia. Which can be good or bad I guess. I am not even sure I am a good candidate for Penn but I applied anyway. I got the recommended score for verbal but a little below on math ( which isn't surprising because my math grades are average). I think I did fine on the writing portion but I wont know until a few weeks. Anyway, I will be surprised I end up getting an interview there. I do think my personal statement is good and my recommendations are good too. Any thoughts?
  9. by   hopefulnurse24
    morganw, I scored exactly the same as you on my GRE, and I'm in the same boat pretty much... and I asked in the online chat what Penn thought of this and they said that while the GRE is something they take into consideration, it doesn't mean everything. So I wouldn't stress over it or anything, I think you're in a good position and you're applying to many other schools so you have a good chance of getting in somewhere!
  10. by   morganw1
    Thanks hopeful,

    I know they say that it's holistic so I guess there could be a chance. I never thought I would end up applying to such a top ranked school. UCSF and Penn are always at least in the top 3. Maybe they'll like the experience I have or something other than stats. I think I have a good chance at Columbia but I don't want to get my hopes up because then I will be crushed if I don't. ( I'm rambling here) Anyway, good luck with the rest of your apps. I have 5 total since I cancelled out Duke. I've only submitted 2 and next up is Yale. If neither you me or Kdiem get in to a school we like for fall, we could all maybe end up at NYU. Only time will tell.
  11. by   the healer's art
    Why did you decide not to apply to Duke? Their program looks great!

    Amazed that NYU is your backup plan!
  12. by   hopefulnurse24
    Well, it isn't so much that I'm using NYU as a backup plan, but more so that their application isn't due until March 1st and we will have heard from most of the schools that we've already applied to by then... so I'm waiting to apply there until the last minute because of this, and also to save the $70-80 application fee, and sending transcripts and whatnot. It's not that its my backup, but its kind of my last resort, mainly because I know NYU is going to be so costly what with the high tuition prices and living in NYC! I have high hopes that we will all get in somewhere though!
  13. by   morganw1
    I decided not to go with Duke because I didn't feel that the city was right for me. I am from California and I want that big city feel and hope to land a job working in a major hospital in the heart of the city. It does sound like a wonderful program but It's costly and I figure if I am going to shell out $$ it's going to be in a place where I want to be. Maybe the next round will consist of Duke but at this time I don't feel it's for me.

    NYU isn't a backup plan for me either just like hopeful. They have two deadlines one in spring and one in the fall so it's just another opportunity at a different time. Plus, all this is getting costly and I think my budget is 5 schools to be honest I could maybe push for 6.