Hi I am interested in starting an early extubation protocol in a peds cardiac ICU, anybody have some protocols in their institutions I can bounce some ideas off of? Would greatly appreciate it!!
Research states that early extubation is still not practiced routinely in pediatric ICUs BUT very early exbuation can be accomplished safely after CPB and can take place in the OR or after admission to the ICU. Many children remain intubated for long periods simply because they have had cardiac surgery. (Kloth & Baum, 2002).
Advantages of early extubation include:
- Decreased postop pulmonary complications
- Decreased length of stay in the ICU
- Decreased dependence on mechanical ventilation
- Decreased need for additional sedation
- Decreased risk of aggravating pulmonary hypertension during ETT suctioning
- Decreased costs!