How long will it take?Register Today!
- by Ashley94 May 30, '12How long will it take to become a Pediatric nurse?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=716526©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,204 Views
- May 30, '12 by janfrnYou can become a pediatric nurse as soon as you graduate. To do that you'd do best to have your final practicum at a children's hospital or on a pediatric ward of a community hospital so that you can prove yourself.
- May 31, '12 by Ashley94Do you only need a RN degree?
- May 31, '12 by janfrnThat's right. There really aren't any pediatric specialty training programs out there. The final practicum is the key. You'll learn a lot about how to interact with children, how children are different from adults, a lot about the illnesses that bring children into hospital and that's how the manager of the peds floor will know that you're the right fit.
- Jun 1, '12 by Ashley94Thank you so much for all your help!
- Jun 1, '12 by anon456I was able to get hired at a top peds hospital right out of school. They have a new grad program. I feel so lucky! I did have previous non nursing work experience with children.
- Jun 1, '12 by Ashley94Quote from anon456That's awesome! How long did it take you till you graduated?I was able to get hired at a top peds hospital right out of school. They have a new grad program. I feel so lucky! I did have previous non nursing work experience with children.
- Jun 8, '12 by hiddencatRNI was hired in to peds as a new grad. There was an open position, I applied, had my peds instructors write recommendations, interviewed and was hired. My school did not offer practicums.