Certified Pediatric NurseRegister Today!
This is a discussion on Certified Pediatric Nurse in Pediatric Nursing, part of Nursing Specialties ... I am a new grad nurse and work in peds. In June of this year I will have the minimum 1800 hours...by yuzzamatuzz Feb 23, '12I am a new grad nurse and work in peds. In June of this year I will have the minimum 1800 hours required by the ANCC to become a certified pediatric nurse. I feel that studying for a difficult pediatric exam would be beneficial to my own nursing practice now that I have some experience. However, I've heard from some more experienced nurses that the exam is almost impossibly hard. For those nurses who have taken the CPN exam, would you recommend a nurse with one year of experience take it? If so, what study materials would you recommend? Any other tips or recommendations?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=678174©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 5,605 Views
- Feb 24, '12 by lboocksHi! I'm the Communications Director for the Pediatric Nursing Certification Board (PNCB) and wanted to clarify that the exam to earn the credential CPN is offered by PNCB. If you are considering the CPN exam, we invite you to explore possible study resources at the link below. ANCC requires 2000 clinical hours. PNCB requires 1800. If you have any questions, please contact us. We'll be happy to help! - Lori Boocks
- Feb 24, '12 by greenwaldrni took the test after i had been a peds nurse for 2 years. it was very hard, but i passed the first time. i am not a good test taker, so i went to a study course provided by my hospital. i also bought the pncb study guide and it was very useful. the thing i remember the most was needing to know developmental milestones for the different age groups. there weren't too many medication questions or anything. just remember your abc's and you'll do great! i will say that it was harder than the nclex.....good luck!
- Feb 28, '12 by woohDevelopmental stages and milestones were the only part I found difficult, but I'd been doing peds for a few years before taking it. If you have a study guide to study with, it shouldn't be too difficult.
- Apr 30, '12 by PedsNP2013I thought the test was way easier than the NCLEX i think i was a peds nurse for 2 or 3 years before i took it. There aren't a lot of resources for this particular exam. I used Nurse Builders - CPN Review Resource Center
I got the review book and the practice question book. They have a whole section for CPN exam....good luck to you. If you can pass the NCLEX you can do this.
- May 1, '12 by KelRN215I have never heard anyone say this test was "impossibly hard." Many of my former colleagues took it and no one failed.
- May 2, '12 by ~PedsRN~I work in a children's hospital and people are getting certified left and right. They take a course provided by the hospital, which I have heard is amazing. Im planning on taking it when I can, but it might have to wait until after the BSN is finished.
- May 5, '12 by smurfynurseyGo to nursebuilders.com - they have a CPN reveiw book
- May 6, '12 by nonoiskycan a Foreign Nurse take the exams?