Where have all the jobs gone? - page 4
by NurseWinn | 9,571 Views | 34 Comments
I started my exciting and adventurous nursing path four years ago. I was told it would be a hard and laborious process but if I applied myself I would become a nurse, a pillar to the community, a helper for those in need, a voice... Read More
- 1Sep 9, '11 by billyboblewisIt is a sad time for RN's. Just read an article in the Baton Rouge, LA newspaper telling about how glad the local hospitals were that they could pick and choose from a large pool of applicants. In a situation like this you really almost have to know someone to get a job. Or if you knew exaclty what criteria they were using to pick and choose.
- 2Nov 12, '11 by dpianaWhat about county clinics, rural clinics, Red cross, blood banks, skin banks. Go into the reserves a flight nurse, See if the office of diasaster planning in your area has a position for you, it may not have the title of nurse. What about working for a congressional leader on healthcare policy. Grant writing. Research labs. How about working for a nursing or healthcare journal.
Use Indeed.com andsort by keyword healthcare and see what comes up
- 0Nov 27, '11 by NurseWinnDpiana,thank you for the reply! I have tried several of those options only to end up spinning my wheels. Most frustrating on government positions as their applications are so long. Have you heard of any success with new grads volunteering at the hospital and then applying as an internal candidate? I have also never heard of a skin banks before so my google searching has expanded!
I am still hoping for a job that actually uses my skills sometime in the future! If you think of anything else let me know!!
- 0Nov 28, '11 by dpianaNurseWinn....The point is you need to be circulating among the RNs that have jobs...so when something becomes available they think of you. Join NWONE ( and I bet they will let u join at student rate since u do not have a job) This is where the key managers, directors and RNs in portland area come together. Volunteer for a committee....
I would also called NWONE and ask about the Portland Nursing Salon...when is the next get together? This is a relatively new get together for any & all nurses at someones house to discuss nursing issues, etc. ....I would also check the MeetUps in Portland...is there some that are related to healthcare, nursing etc...you need exposure right now. Dallas
- 0Nov 28, '11 by NurseWinnDipana! Thank you for your advice, once you stated it, it seemed so obvious!! I am joining right now as I type and will be searching for the next meet up! I can't thank you enough!! It may not be a job line up but I am sure this will at least put my toes in the water!! Thank you again!