Would you ever take care of a friend?Register Today!
- by mandyjk77 Feb 5I had the honor of being my friend's nurse today. I was a little nervous just in case something went wrong, but it all turned out great and she had a beautiful healthy baby girl!
I just wanted to see how many other people had taken care of friends or someone they knew, was it uncomfortable, were you nervous, do you think it's okay from a legal stand point? Thanks!
- Feb 5 by kloneYep, have several times, and my best friend took care of me as well. It's quite common to "special" someone in OB.
- Feb 5 by ale022I took care of my best friend. She was failure to progress, so had to have c section. We had to be put to sleep for the c section and telling her husband that he could not be in there broke my heart. He was just glad that I could be in there and I think the family was relieved that I was there. She and I had been friends since we were 4 years old and she is still my very best friend. I was so glad that I got to be a part of that special moment, even though she was asleep. At least I remember the day our sweet Abbey came into the world!!
- Feb 5 by ale022But yes I was very nervous for her. Her epidural worked great through labor and just quit working prior to c section. The dr felt like the epidural was still working and he did not want her to be put to sleep. It would have been over my dead body before he made an incision in her without her being completely numb. He was well aware of that!! She too was a nurse in our department!!
- Feb 6 by babyktchrI have taken care of many friends, coworkers, doctors wives, friends of friends...etc. I have very fond memories and get reminded of just how old I am getting when they show me pictures of their kids now!!!!
- Feb 8 by perfexionYes I am taking care of a friend right now and she is a pain in the butt! She shows up late for her appointments and she texts me dumb questions at all hours of the day and night. It's going to be a long pregnancy.
- Feb 11 by PinkNBlueI just took care of someone I went to nursing school with! How fun is that?
- Feb 12 by sissiesmamaNever took care of a friend, but did get assigned to take care of a girl who, at a previous job prior to nursing threatened to kill me. Had a gun in her purse, so she was quite miffed when she got arrested.
- Feb 12 by MeriwhenMy mother-in-law helped delivered her best friend's baby...she'd always joke that she got to see him before his mother did
As for me, I'm not allowed to take care of friends in psych...and to be honest, I wouldn't want to anyway because I don't think either one of us would be truly comfortable with it. I suppose the attitude in OB and other more medical settings is more relaxed when it comes to these things because of the different natures of the illnesses we work with, and that's great if you're down with taking care of friends. I just don't see it flying far in psych, alas :/