Hi I am currently taking Pharmacology in nursing school
and would like to know any good books or links I can use in my current course work.
thanks for any help in advance.
Jan 28, '06
here's a whole bunch of links for you, kiddo. a couple of them contain more than just drug information. i also included, at the end, a site which is a tutorial for nusing students on doing drug calculations (wasn't sure that was part of your course, but you'll find it useful when you have to start doing calculations!)
principles of pharmacology:
specific drug information:
drug dosage calculations:
- http://www.medicinenet.com/medications/article.htm - this is another huge site where you can search for information on diseases and conditions, procedures and tests, medications, medical terms, and you can also search by signs and symptoms. click on the "medications" tab to access information on specific drugs.
- www.drugs.com - at this site you find the drug you are looking for alphabetically and then information is brought up for you. there is information that is written for the general public (easier to understand, perhaps) and information for professionals that is often very similar if not the same entries that are in the pdr.
- http://www.rxlist.com/ - rxlist.com
- http://www.drugguide.com/ddo/ub - davis's drug guide online - need user name and password to access information
- http://www.uihealthcare.com/depts/me...ogy/index.html - common pediatric medications and dosages and adverse effects
- http://www.edruginfo.com/herbhome.htm - herbal spotlight (gives use, adverse reaction, interactions and precautions of herbs they are spotlighting), also see "previously posted"
- http://www.pharma-lexicon.com/ - search for abbreviations, definitions, the meaning of medical terms, icd-9 coding, drug searches (both american and english) and information on diseases. you can also get some online access into the merck manuals through their search feature.
- http://www.drugstore.com/pharmacy/drugchecker/ - drug interaction checker
Last edit by Daytonite on May 28, '09
: Reason: removed inactive links, restructured post
Jan 28, '06
Here is a link that I put up on the forum (a month or so ago) to copies of the study guides that I made when I took Pharm last term...
I also bought the mosby memory notebook series for pharmacology as well and loved it.
Last edit by VickyRN on Apr 24, '06
Mar 4, '06
Other Excellent Medication Resources
- simply click on each one, to review information. Many critical care drugs, from abciximab to zoledronic acid.
Drug Classifications/ Profiles
Drug of the Week
Prentice Hall's Drug of the Month
Last edit by VickyRN on Jul 25, '07
May 6, '06
other useful sites for people taking pharmacology:
- http://www.globalrph.com/ - the home page for globalrph.com. you can search for specific drugs (uses rxlist.com), or chose the drug table button to get lists of medications arranged by categories. clicking on the iv dilutions button takes you into specific information on what solutions and how much of them to mix various piggyback medications into. clicking on the infectious disease button takes you to an infectious disease database arranged by disease which give you listings of antibiotic choices that can be used for treatment. there are a number of medical calculators here including one to calculate drip rates on some of the commonly used icu medications. there are also links to a video library.
- http://web.utah.edu/umed/courses/year2/pharm/study/ - study guides
- http://www.nova.edu/optometry/pharmacy/ - quizes on drug classifications and uses
Last edit by Daytonite on Oct 13, '08
May 7, '06
here is another helpful link. this is a site that will help you make and print out your own medication drug cards. you have to register to get into the constructor, but it is free. just don't forget the password the site gives you! play around with it a little to get the hang of how the constructor works. i found that i lost data if i went back to add something i had forgotten to a previous page of information. i also was able to shrink the final card i made down to a size i wanted to print it. have fun!
Last edit by Daytonite on May 7, '06
May 18, '06
information on commonly used ob drugs
- a huge list of medications you can link to for information. contains a lot of commonly used ob/gyn medications. from a military source for ob/gyn
medical and nursing errors
- agency for healthcare research and quality, morbidity & mortality rounds. at this site you can read about specific medical and nursing errors that have been reported in their case archives.
Last edit by VickyRN on Jul 23, '07
: Reason: Broken Links Removed
May 19, '06
- this is a free online pharmacology course on free-ed.net.
Last edit by VickyRN on Jul 23, '07
: Reason: Broken links removed