Nursing Expertise Regarding the Recovery Model Nursing Expertise Regarding the Recovery Model | allnurses

Nursing Expertise Regarding the Recovery Model

  1. 0 Hi! I'm trying to finish up an assignment and am having difficulty with a question. I am in my second year of nursing in university and have not started giving out medications yet; therefore I have no idea what a competent nurse would do in the situation described in my question. The assignment is for a mental health class by the way. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Question: An involuntary patient under your care becomes agitated and refuses to take his medications because he believes the medical staff are “trying to poison him”. Considering the recovery model, how could you, as a nurse, respond to a situation like this? How would you respond using the medical model?
  2. 8 Comments

  3. Visit  roser13 profile page
    #1 0
    How does your textbook address this issue?
  4. Visit  verivici profile page
    #2 0
    My textbook doesn't, thats why I'm having such a difficult time with this question. The assignment is based off an article about the recovery model.
    Last edit by verivici on Nov 8, '11 : Reason: typo
  5. Visit  merlee profile page
    #3 0
    I have no idea what the 'recovery' or 'medical' models are. Sure glad I went to nursing school many hundreds of years ago.....!

    Sorry I can't help with these theoretical issues.
  6. Visit  Aurora77 profile page
    #4 0
    Quote from merlee
    I have no idea what the 'recovery' or 'medical' models are. Sure glad I went to nursing school many hundreds of years ago.....!

    Sorry I can't help with these theoretical issues.
    I just graduated in May and I have no idea what they are, either. Good luck, OP! Did google come back with anything, at least as a starting point?
  7. Visit  traumaRUs profile page
    #5 0
    Moving to nursing student assistance.

    I too have never heard of this before. I think you may need to look up the Recovery Model on a hospital/school library system first.
  8. Visit  eagle78 profile page
    #6 0
    I found this website on the "recovery model", maybe it will help.
  9. Visit  verivici profile page
    #7 0
    My question wasn't on the recovery or medical models as we had plenty of information on those, it was more what to do in the situation of a involuntary patient refusing medications. I was able to scrape together an answer though! For anyone interested the medical model is a dated way of thinking. It is based solely on physical symptoms of a patient. Essentially the patient is told what to do and they comply without question. The recovery model had more of a holistic approach to care. It views recovery as an individual and unique process.
  10. Visit  Esme12 profile page
    #8 0
    where are you......if the patient has been rendered incompetent they cannot refuse. i know in canada a patient can be forced into treatment. they can refuse but if court ordered they have lost the "right to refuse", in the us they may also be court ordered incompetent to make decisions or court ordered to be given meds.

    people are considered mentally incompetent if they suffer from a disorder or illness that renders them unable to make sound judgments concerning their welfare or the welfare of others whom they are responsible for. if this happens to someone you love, it may be necessary to take legal steps to have the person declared incompetent so you or someone else can assume the role of guardian to oversee the person's legal, financial and lifestyle decisions.
    difficulty:moderately easyinstructions

    things you'll need

    • application for guardianship statement of expert evaluatio
    • contact the probate court in the area where the person resides or claims permanent residence. request the appropriate forms for declaring a person mentally incompetent. this generally requires you to file a request for guardianship.

    • retain a mental health or guardianship lawyer to guide you in completing the appropriate forms and securing documentation to support your claims.

    • seek a psychological evaluation of the person by a qualified professional. if the person does not submit to the evaluation voluntarily, you will need to request the court to order the evaluation.

    • submit the statement of expert evaluation with the application to the court. the court will decide whether or not the person is mentally incompetent and whether or not you are a suitable guardian. the court may require that you be bonded by an insurance company to protect the financial assets of the individual. your lawyer can assist in seeking appropriate bonding from a reputable source. certain credit problems or criminal history may prevent you from being bonded. your lawyer will be able to assist you if you have questionable history.

    • contact the adult protective services office in your area if you are concerned about an adult who appears to be mentally incompetent, even if you do not wish to be guardian. they will investigate and evaluate the situation and appoint an appropriate guardian if the person is deemed mentally incompetent

    i hope this helps...