Wasting Morphine Medication Calculation ProblemRegister Today!
- by dukegurl Jan 20Hey guys I wanted some help with this question: The doctor prescribes 4 mg of I.M. morphine every 3 hours for your patientís pain. The drug is available in a prefilled syringe containing 10 mg of morphine/mL. How many milliliters of morphine should you waste?
I understand that you should give 0.4mL to the patient but how much do you waste? If anybody could help me understand this part of the question I would really appreciate it. Thanks guys
- Jan 20 by cole804you would have 0.6ml left
- Jan 20 by JBuddYou didn't say how many mL are in the syringe. Not all concentrations are the same. If this is 10mg/mL, then you would subtract what you give from the total you started with. Whatever is left over is what you waste.
10 mg/mL, give 0.4, waste 0.6.
Some prefilled syringes are 4mg/mL, some are 2mg/mL. You have to read the labels very carefully.
- Jan 20 by dukegurlThanks guys that really helped
- Jan 20 by JBuddYou're welcome, and looking back a 2nd time, ah, you did say per mL. oops.