Give or noRegister Today!
- by duncannurse429 Apr 1Patient had iv unasyn due at 6p, did not return to facility until 8p, unasyn is given q 6hrs, would you give the med or hold it?
- Apr 1 by SuzieVNIt may be a med error, 2 hours late, by your policy- what does your manual say? If in doubt, call MD to get an order 'give 6Pm dose of Unasyn now at 8PM- patient was out of the building'.
- Apr 1 by SuzieVNI'll correct myself- if a patient is gone, it can't be a 'med error'. If your policy states a med/IV must be given within so many hours since the last dose, and that can't happen- always safe to get the order I mentioned. It also serves to document that you informed the MD that a patient on IVs was out of the building, if a surveyor makes an issue of a late or missed dose, etc.
- Apr 4 by SouthernPointCall the MD. Explain that the 1800 dose was missed and why. See if the MD wants to give the 1800 dose NOW and how would he like you to handle the next round of doses.
In my past experience. The MD will say give now and just give the next scheduled dose or adjust the does by 1 hour until the 0600 dose comes around and put the pt back on the correct scheduled times.
But I would NOT just hold a dose without the MD being informed..
- Apr 4 by turnforthenurseRNI agree, never hold something without the MD being informed, especially antibiotics which need to be given on time, as scheduled. I know the patient being out of the building was not your fault, however.
I would give the med and call pharmacy to retime the antibiotic.