Nurse suicide follows infant tragedy - page 7
by babyNP. | 33,615 Views | 97 Comments
continued: How horrible for everyone in the situation...she had worked at Seattle Children's for 27 years, the article states.... Read More
- 1Apr 26, '11 by RNbutterflykissesthis is truly a sad story for both families involved. I wish they had done more to work with the nurse especially given she had worked for the hospital faithfully for 27years! a story like this should also be a wake up call to all of us as nurses about how important it is to double check the doses of medications and utilize second rn checks. as nurses we are on the frontline of care and the last check before the patient gets medicated. Eventhough we know doctors and pharmacists are smart, we can't always rely on them b/c they too are tired and make mistakes. we must remember that we know the patient best and should question orders, and if we cannot get clarification, them we need to follow the chain of command to ensure patient safety.
i'll be keeping the families of both in my prayers. all the best to us nurses. let's be safe and practice with a questioning attitude.Last edit by TheCommuter on Apr 26, '11 : Reason: removed unapproved link
- 4Apr 28, '11 by hic12345The thing that is frustrating about this situation is that... this nurse was left out cold because she did not have the liability insurance which not every nurse is expected to have. in which she is not able to defend herself because she doesn't have the money to. how do you expect a nurse put on leave to be making money to defend her job and license. you'd think the hospital will back her up. ive worked in this hospital before and I would recommend every nurse at this institution to BUY LIABILITY INSURANCE!!!!!
- 9Apr 30, '11 by DoGoodThenGoThis sad and very tragic story brings home several points.
One, regardless of experience it seems all nurses are just one math error away from being not only discharged but possibly ruined as well. When you think of how many hundreds of patients Nurse Haitt took care of, and the thousands of med passes she performed correctly that were discounted because of one adverse outcome, it does not bode well for the rest of the profession.
No one is dismissing the loss of that wee infant. A nurse would have to be made of stone not to be affected by the death and or harm to her/his patient due to a preventable error. However being as that may the law of averages makes a med error almost certain sooner or later. All a good nurse can do is make sure to practice safe, CYA,question, use intiution and build up a rock solid (or near to as possible) knowledge base to know better when something does not look "right".
My med dose calc teacher told us to always look at whatever answer we got to see if it makes sense in terms of the medication, it's dosage and the patient information. If you come up with some off the wall dosage that does not fit the normal parameters of a med for your patient, it might be a good idea to run that problem again and or have a second license take a peek.
Methinks also because the infant's death was widely covered in the media, and followed a series of other published adverse outcomes to infants (the heparin errors that affected the Quaid's infants and others), that the hospital and perhaps BON may have felt they had no choice in their actions. Am sure the last thing Children's wanted to see splashed all over the headlines is "nurse who killed infant keeps her job", which is probably how the media would present things.
Then again this is hardly news. Nurses are employees of a hospital and when one becomes a liability or is seen as such the usual MO is to get shot of her/him.
Finally to all those pre-nursing and nursing students who wonder why medical dosage calculations/pharmacology is such a huge deal, to the point where failing an exam or class by even by one point can have you bounced out of a program, this sad case is an extreme answer.
- 0May 1, '11 by Calinrse2bI'm about to start nursing school in a couple of months and I cannot tell you how much this story terrifies me. Especially since I want to work with pediatric cardiac patients and I know the medications they are prescribed are extremely potent and volatile. I personally have a friend whose son was given 1,000 times the amount of Ativan he was supposed to be given and thankfully just slept for an extra 12 hours, but still awfully scary! The resident had written the RX wrong 2 mls instead of .2 and the pharmacy didn't catch it, nor did 2 nurses who double-checked it per hospital protocol.
I have been thinking about this story a lot the last two weeks. Anybody have any words of encouragement on how to make sure this doesn't happen?