Here is my story: back in 2001 I was arrested for a dirty/unclean/fictitious license plate (was selling my car, and the person I sold it to put a registration sticker on the car that did not in fact belong on my car, I was driving, so I was detained). I was immediately released, and no charges were ever filed. It never went to court, no verdict, etc etc. Since then it has never shown up on a background check (even the one I did for Homeland Security where I worked in the past few years). Fast forward to 2009 when I'm applying for RN school, it did not show up on the BON's "preliminary" background check they do before you get accepted into the program. Now in May of this year, I get a letter stating that since I checked "No" to the criminal background questions, I have committed "non-disclosure" and I must provide a statement and court documents. I did those immediately and they received them May 9.
I began calling the BON around May 20, only to find out all enforcement issues are initially viewed by the Director. Apparently he didnt' get my file until May 22, and he had 45 days from that day to look at it. I've since called and emailed him, and just yesterday find out my case is being sent to investigations which may take 6 months!
Here are my questions:
Have any of you had any similar experience with "non-disclosure"?
What are the outcomes you've seen?
How long is the process typically for non-disclosure? (I know the pat answer, 4-6mos, but even the BON CSRs I've talked to say it usually takes less time than that.)
Is it possible to apply to test in another state, like OK or NY, and give them all my info upront?
Is there anything I can do to speed up the process?
I interviewed for, and was hired for, my dream job in March: Med-Surg ICU Internship. The internship starts Monday, June 18. I've been upfront and honest with HR and my managers at my hospital, showing them all the same paperwork to and from the BON, and they are allowing me to begin classwork orientation (obviously, without my GN or ATT I cannot touch paitents). Once my classroom days are done, if I don't have my GN, I go back to being a tech. My hospital is being very understanding and states they will not take away my position--they will postpone it until September or even January if need be. Of course, if I can get this done sooner I definiteley will.
The most obvious statement I can make is that, had I known I needed to put this on my application, I would have done so. However, since I don't have a time machine, I must do whatever the BON decides.
I've been reading allnurses.com posts for years now, and I know how valuable a resource this is. Thank you to you who respond, and have a nice day!