Domestic violence record dismissed, will they deny employment?Register Today!
- by mj731 May 1, '12I am a brand new nurse got my license one month ago and got called for my very first job at a nudsing home. I went and did my bsckground check and im very worried they wont call me back for orientation due to a domestic battery charge 3 yrs ago. I never plead guilty or even went to court for it because my case was dismissed. Im so worried they wont call me back or deny me employment. I was so excited to be given the oppurtunity does anyone know if this will affect me?
- May 1, '12 by Ashley, PICU RNSee if your state has a way that you can do a background check on yourself. Some states have websites or programs that let you pull your own record to see what appears. If you can do that, they you'll know if the dismissed charges even show up on your background checks.
Obviously, no one here can tell you for sure if the employer will hire you if they see these charges on your record. But if the charges were dismissed and it never went to trial, and you weren't arrested then I'd hasten to guess you'll be okay.
- May 1, '12 by TotallyAwwwesomeAs long as the Board of Nursing in your state issued you a license, you really shouldn't be concerned. Did you have problems receiving your RN license?
- May 2, '12 by mj731No i had no problem getting my license im just still freaking out. I.ll just have to wait n see though.
- May 16, '12 by sj20fameOmg, I'm so glad I was able to find this, I too have this on my record and I'm so ashamed, ashamed I tell you! I was 19 years old, and just angry at the world and angry at what my life was at that time, but I've done a complete change and this taught me a huge lesson. I'm now 25, been at my current job for 5 years, I'm an adult now, and I just wish I can go back and take this away... I have a feeling this will effect me in my future employement and schooling. As of now I'm not sure what will happen, as I'm preparing to take my Pax Test, and then Hope to enter nursing program this fall. MJ731 I wish you the best of luck, and hope that this won't be an issue.
- Sep 18, '12 by unemployedI have a domestic violence on my record. I passed boards in July and have been applying ever since. I have had one interview out of like 1000 jobs I applied for. Needless to say, no call back. I doubt I will ever get to be a nurse. Good luck to you people. I give up.
- Oct 23, '12 by jimmywgr33nEventhough it was dismissed it will still show up on a background. Period. You dont need to admit to it in most questions as you did not plead guilty and the case was dismissed, but a line will come up in the background check saying you were changed and it was dismissed
After 3 years you can have your record expunged, sealed, or vacated as long as nothing has happened since. Call a criminal defense lawyer in your area, its worth the investment. They can take that line off your background.
Since the case was dismissed you were innocent so it shouldent even matter. Also, you wont be denied interviews for that. Companies dont run background checks untill after they say you were hired.
- Oct 24, '12 by CP2013Quote from TotallyAwwwesomeFrom reading other threads...I don't agree with this thought. The BON may issue you a license, but no facility has to hire you. They have applicants without a record, they will pick no record over having a record. Regardless of whether or not BON looked past it and issued.As long as the Board of Nursing in your state issued you a license, you really shouldn't be concerned. Did you have problems receiving your RN license?
To the OP: Be diligent. Apply any and everywhere until you get interviews. If nursing is your passion don't give up. The job market is tough but not impossible. Try, try again.
- Jan 11 by LatashaaddisonI have serval charges that have been drop; 2 agg battery,2 checks,theft, & I was convicted on drug possession but it wasIt all was 16 years ago I am applying for lpn school in Louisiana I have completed all my prerequisite just waiting on school to startI'm scare but I really want this. I been a phlebotomy for the state sentThen for three years & food service worker sent. I recently did my on back-Ground threw the state an only the show was agg battery (dismiss) theft dismissBut I now I have others arrest but they have been dismiss.i have call the Bon in my areaThey only saying they have to get ur application first. I want this so bad an I'm going allThe way but I don't want to be hurt. I'm in the process of expunging the drug charge from 16 years ago. Someone tell me some advice I getting all my record together even though they were dismiss. The only thing I really have on me is that drug charge from 1997
- Jan 15 by grrnTypically you only have to disclose convictions. I would advise that you be upfront. Only give relevant details and you shouldnt have a problem. Some companies only ask if you have an unrestricted nursing license, or any felonies.