Walden University Nsg Informatics Program
- 0Mar 7, '13 by sufernanHello all,
I will be applying to Walden University for their Nursing Informatics Program. Anybody in this forum has applied for this program at Walden? Or any current/former NI students at Walden? I would love to hear some feedback about the program, clinicals, and any other feedback/advice that will be helpful to me. Thank you in advance!!
- 1Mar 7, '13 by nicenurse46I am finishing the program. Just finished project management. Waiting to begin my practicum. It is a great program. I love it! I think the curriculum has changed from when I first began though. The assignments are thought provoking but manageable. No issues with the program besides trying to find a preceptor for my practicum (I wrote a thread about that yesterday). Otherwise, advisers are super helpful and the teachers are great. I recommend applying there!
- 0Mar 7, '13 by sufernanThank you nicenurse46 for your reply. I have read both negative and positive feedback about Walden and it is nice to hear positive thoughts from a NI student. Good luck with practicum. (yes, I read your post about preceptor hunt earlier today, good luck with that. Hope you find one sooooon!).
- 0Jun 22, '13 by joyncaringHi Nicenurse46,
What requirements should NI preceptors have for Walden's program?
How many weeks are most of the courses?
Quote from nicenurse46I am finishing the program. Just finished project management. Waiting to begin my practicum. It is a great program. I love it! I think the curriculum has changed from when I first began though. The assignments are thought provoking but manageable. No issues with the program besides trying to find a preceptor for my practicum (I wrote a thread about that yesterday). Otherwise, advisers are super helpful and the teachers are great. I recommend applying there!
- 0Jun 26, '13 by TracyParsonsI just applied to this program & should start this September. My biggest concern is taking 2 classes at the same time. I completed my BSN through Chamberlain & loved how they had what I called a split-semester. Classes were only 8 weeks so you could take 2 classes a semester but only needed to take one at a time.... loved it! Any input on Walden's program would be appreciated
- 0Jul 5, '13 by nicenurse46I started my program in October 2011...at that time, we had one class per semester lasting for 8 weeks each. I am not sure if the classes are now longer, but I do know that the curriculum has changed. As far as NI preceptor requirements...the preceptor must work in the nursing informatics field and must have a MSN or another type of graduate degree, e.g. MBA or MPH, for at least one year. Personally, I like Walden's program. You learn about databases, workflow, and project management, etc. You also get the chance to work with Microsoft Access and Microsoft Project. During the practicum portion of the program, you have to complete an informatics type project as part of the grade.The course work is very interesting and manageable. I encourage anyone who is pursuing a MSN in informatics to look into Walden's program.
- 0Aug 28, '13 by manny1222I'm currently in the program at WaldenU. Classes are arranged in 12 week quarters - so you have 12 weeks for each quarter and a week off in-between. You do two classes per quarter. I haven't had any issues with the program. My biggest complaint in that every paper or even discussion post has to be in APA format. Not that this is a bad thing, I was never really a fan. All in all, I'm glad I'm doing it (switched from FNP). I just hope I find a job in my area when I'm done
- 0Nov 25, '13 by jallen326I applied to Walden in December of 2011 and started the informatics program in January 2012. I graduated in August of 2013. My program was semester based with each class lasting 8 weeks! This was great for me and I loved that all the red tape was eliminated so that you can move forward once you passed your class. I am still looking for a job and I must say it is a competitive field!
- 0Dec 9, '13 by jallen326Quote from MissRN11I loved the program at walden. I must say that finding a job can be challenging and I know people. You can start looking from now or volunteer for go-lives like I did.I am looking into Walden Informatics as well and am def. leaning towards that program! Have others graduated and gotten jobs? If so what is your title? Anybody willing to share salary expectations? I am def excited but what I have heard about the program.