I am SO happy to say that I passed ANCC informatics Nurse Certification Exam yesterday 3/17/2014!
For those of you who are looking for recommended materials, the following are ALL you need to pass this exam. There are a few study guides you can find on the internet, but do not buy them! They are not approved by the ANCC. Believe me, I purchased one of them, (I don't want to say the name of the guide, but I will give you a hint, the color of the book is black and yellow). The information in that guide was not consistent with what you will be learning in the ANCC 8 week course, and I can think of one or two instances where the guide was absolutely wrong, so don't spend your money on this. The ANCC does have a list of recommended materials on their website, so if you need extra materials, review the ANCC list. Most likely, you will not need to purchase anything other than what I recommend. Everything you need to know is found in the following recommended materials. It is in my opinion, adding another resource approved or not approved will just cause information overload and confusion. Study smarter not harder!
1) Scope and Standards for Informatics (2008),
2) Enroll into the ANCC Certification 8 week webinar at http://www.nursecredentialing.com/CK...g-Webinar.html
. The study guide with the Powerpoints used in this course will cover 99% of the exam. I believe it cost just under $250.
3) Take the sample test on the ANCC website and buy the sample questions for $99 if you can.
4) Use the internet to look things up and help reinforce your learning.
HERE IS HOW I RECOMMEND YOU TO STUDY.
1) Study at a moderate pace for at least 2 months for this exam. I personally studied 2-4 hours 4 time a week, and then every day in the final 2 weeks.
2) Read the Scope and Standards (the first 1/2 only) at least 5 times word for word and read it carefully. I say the first 1/2 because the 2nd half is the OLD scope and standards. You can finish the whole book in just a few hours. Read at least once every two weeks so that the information contained will start to sink in.
3) Read the ANCC study guide for the 8 week course cover to cover at least once a week. YOU NEED TO TAKE GOOD NOTES ON THIS GUIDE. Each class is 1 1/2 hours and it has a pretty quick pace, so make sure you prepare. Read the section prior to class carefully, and during the class take good notes and ask the instructor to repeat if you need them to. It also is a late class, 8 PM EST, so make sure your mind is ready for the intensity. I took a power nap before every class.
4) Practice using the free sample questions and the purchased test questions at least 5 times throughout the course of your study. They are very similar to what is on the exam, with about the same level of difficulty.
5) Use the internet to look up definitions, diagrams, examples, etc. to help reinforce what you are studying.
These are all of the materials you need to pass the exam. You will spend about $350, but it will be definitely worth it! Study hard, set a study schedule for yourself and stick to it. The test is at a moderate to difficult level, if you fall off course with your studying, regroup and get back on. Good luck to all of you!
Thanks for all the info shared! I would like to ask if someone can share the link for the ANA Scopes and Standards for Nursing Informatics. Where can i find the 8 weeks study course?
Last edit by idaRN on Jan 8