UBC Nursing 2010-2011Register Today!
- by 39bcgirl Jan 6, '10Hello,
Has anyone applied for UBC Nursing for the 2010 school year? How are you finding your application process?
- Is it UBC Vancouver or UBC- Okanagan?
I'm almost graduation from UBCO and the process for me (and I'm talking about 4 years ago) was a long one. I got accepted by June 29th.
- Jan 10, '10 by 39bcgirlI'm applying to UBC - I plan to send my supplemental application soon. I am not sure what format they are looking for -essay style or point form. Also, in your experience, what are the demographics of the class? Are most students straight from university or do many come from previous careers?
- Well as I said, I'm in UBC-O but I've worked with some nurses who graduated from UBC Vancouver. From what I heard, usually most students come from previous careers either related (ie. BC ambulance) or completely unrelated (ie. engineering) to nursing.
In my class approx. 50% of students came fresh out of high school. The rest were mature students who some of them worked for a while to make their minds, or joined the program with another degree like myself. They were some students who joined us in the 2nd year as LPN from bridge program.
I stared the class with 120 students and now there are 102.
- And sorry that was July 29th when I got accepted.
- Jan 10, '10 by MPKHI was accepted to the nursing program at UBC Vancouver for the Sept 2009 intake, so I can answer some of 39nurse's question.
Supplemental--they don't say, but I personally think paragraphs work better than point form. It's just rather difficult to elaborate on your extracurricular activities with point form alone. As well, point form might be looked down as "unprofessional", so I went with paragraphs. Everybody that I've talked to recalled writing their supplemental in prose. I suppose point form can work too...but I just really don't see how you can use point form to really expand on your extracurricular activities.
Demographics--the average age seem to be mid 20's-early 30's. There are 7 guys out of the class of 89. The majority of the class comes with previous career/academic experiences.
- Jan 10, '10 by 39bcgirlThank you Tranquility!
I had friends review my supplemental -which I wrote in essay form. They were concerned I might get points deducted for assuming it has to be complete sentences. I sent the admissions clerk this question twice and did get a reply, but did not get a definitive answer as to what format they are looking form....
but I agree with what you said.
- Feb 5, '10 by jeffy604Hey Ark
What was your high school average to get into UBC-O
- Feb 6, '10 by akardanI believe it was high 90s but the requirement for the time was about 85ish. This is not to be said that people with lower average didn't get in. If you're really curious I can ask someone on campus and get back to you as I'm doing my final semester here yet.
- Feb 7, '10 by jeffy604Sure, my average isn't really that high its around ~75s trying to get it to a 85 =(