UBC Nursing 2010-2011 - page 15
Hello, Has anyone applied for UBC Nursing for the 2010 school year? How are you finding your application process? Thanks :nurse:... Read More
- 0Jul 16, '10 by tareijaI was wondering the same thing - when will the textbook list be posted? It said in the welcome package that it'd be available by the end of June, but so far I haven't seen it.
I'm registered now, and I'm in group 6. Is anyone else in that group?
Cinnamonlatte, you said you've received your scrubs already. How long did it take for you to receive them after ordering? I was thinking about checking out the sample scrubs at the SON office when I go for my immunization review. However, that's not until early August, so not sure if that would leave me enough time to place an order with Aloft.
I feel like there are so many details to think about and things to do to get ready. I've been meaning to start reviewing my biology and math, so that I feel prepared for classes in September. Here it is already the middle of July! Ah!
Needless to say, I'm super excited to start in September, and finally get to meet some of you in person. Yay!
- 0Jul 16, '10 by cinnamonlatteI am getting excited too!! Oh...I registered in Group 4, I guess we'll meet in class then!
Yep, I got my scrubs right on time actually (on July 5th). I ordered them online like 7 to 10 days before that. The sizing is a bit bigger than it is described (or maybe it's just me).
Yeah, I was wondering about the same thing too. I went to UBC bookstore yesterday (for random errands) and I went to look around at the nursing textbooks section. There were some used books but not many so I was tempted to get them before they run out...but then again, I am not sure if we'd need newer editions or what not.
- 0Aug 7, '10 by hart16Just wondered if anyone has any insight regarding the competitveness of applying to the accelerated UBC program, as a 3rd year student? I have a Bachelor's and Master's in Biology (medical concentration as I was originally considering med school), lots of hospital and other volunteer hours, research, and extracurriculars. I have heard it is incredibly competitive, and can't seem to get a straight-forward response from emailing contacts on the UBC nursing website. Any thoughts?
- 0Aug 8, '10 by cinnamonlatteHi BC Bound
If you have time and you are interested, you should join one of their regular info sessions held by UBC Nursing Admission Office. I think they'd give out more info regarding the admission and the structure of the program (or on the FAQ page of their website). Plus you can ask them questions in person too.
- 0Aug 18, '10 by CarinaBallerinaHart,
It sounds like you're really prepared. UBC has released statistics on their last year's class, and I believe 67% of those accepted had a prior degree. They look for good grades, volunteer work, a committment to nursing and a passion for it, and a good personality. If your grades in your prior degrees were solid, that combined with your volunteer work would probably get you an interview. Then, in the interview, you need to show them why they should accept you, and why you want to be a nurse, and that you're mature enough to handle both the intensity of an accelerated program and working as a nurse. Hope that helps!
There are no guarantees, though, and it depends on the other who apply that year. There are only a certain number of spots, and the competiveness can obviously vary from year to year, depending on the different experiences of those who apply.Last edit by CarinaBallerina on Aug 18, '10 : Reason: add
- 0Mar 30, '11 by secondshotThere's a thread going for the Sept 2011 applicants specifically:
The UBC Nursing website says that the average GPA required is 2.0 but the average GPA of 2009 applicants was over 3.0 (78%).
It also shows a final transcript deadline of June 15th (I assume this is for term 2?)