Questions from a new grad Re: moving to another province

  1. Well, to clarify, I'm not a new grad yet, another year left to my BSCN. I already know that I want to move to another province, I am not looking to stay in the province that I went to school in. Is it possible to register in a different province than the one I received my education in? Would I need to register in my home province, then register in the one I am moving to? I'm educated in NS, moving to AB.
    Any insight or leads on where to obtain answers to my questions is greatly appreciated!
  2. Visit studentchar profile page

    About studentchar

    Joined: Nov '10; Posts: 15; Likes: 3


  3. by   Fyreflie
    Hi Char,

    I think it's easiest to license into your program province but not impossible to do another province first. Call CARNA and just ask them

    Where in NS are you? I just did a year and a half at a rural hospital there before moving out to AB
  4. by   NotReady4PrimeTime
    You don't have the choice. You have to register in the province where you were educated. You can write the CRNE in any of the provinces, but you still have to register "at home". I believe the CNA and the colleges are working on creating a seamless registration system where it would be as easy as changing one's car license plates, but they're not there yet.
  5. by   MPKH
    Yes you can move provinces, provided that you already have obtained a nursing licence from NS. Once you have that licence, contact CARNA to apply for an Alberta RN licence. You will not be able to obtain a RN licence in Alberta if you do not have one in NS
  6. by   studentchar
    Thanks for the info guys! Fyreflie, I'm in cape breton. From the feedback from this year's grads and announcements locally there's not going to be a whole lot of work for new grads. My husband can't find work, so we figure we'll move back to AB where he will at least be able to get steady work (we know this from experience and research, not from word of mouth) while I'm working towards a position.
  7. by   Fyreflie
    Lots of jobs out here right now! Good time to get nursing in AB. Good luck!
  8. by   Fyreflie
    PS they relicense here in October so if there's any way you can wait to transfer over your license until then I suggest doing it--otherwise you'll pay the prorated fee in NS (they relicense in November) AnD the prorated fee in Alberta and then have to get a new 500 dollar license for October 1st. Does that make sense?

    Also, if you get offered a job out here before you come you may be able to get a help with your moving costs but it has to be specified as a term of your hire so make sure you ask and that they put it in writing if they agree
  9. by   studentchar
    Thanks so much for the info! Good to hear that there's lots of work, I've been worried! I will remember your tips re: licensing and negotiating moving expenses. If I could stumble upon that opportunity it would be great!
  10. by   Fiona59
    Haven't heard of AHS covering expenses for anybody other than doctors. Jobs really depend on your skill set and where you will be moving.
  11. by   loriangel14
    I don't think anyone covers moving expenses.
  12. by   Fyreflie
    I had mine covered to NS and the only reason I didn't get the same here is because my manager didn't put it in the letter--she said otherwise I could have put in for it she said