AHS Cost Cutting and Fee Increases - Page 2Register Today!
- Feb 25 by joanna73Working rural is starting to make me depressed. So although it's not an ideal time for me to leave, I am leaving. We are all so overworked because there is never enough staff, and that's not the life I want anymore. I'm very glad I came, but I can't see working a Northern post ever again. It's just not for me, for various reasons.
- Feb 25 by lilaclover6984Wow! And here I was thinking that it was just my unit! We are strictly instructed not to replace first sick calls. Only if we receive 2 sick calls are we allowed to replace 1 of them an that is ONLY allowed at straight time. It's getting crazy!
- Feb 25 by Trishrpn80Joanna - northern tural mursing takes a special kind of person.. Our area is the same.. Short staffed a good majority of the time
- Feb 26 by joanna73Trish I've been in a small town for 2.5 years already, so it's not as though I've come and left. I don't need to be in a huge city, but I definitely need more action than there is here. I'm not leaving immediately, but within another 5 months. Or I can stay here and go insane, which is not a very good choice. Quality of life also needs to be a factor, not just money.
The not replacing sick calls is a common ploy. When I was working my final practicum, many of the hospitals weren't replacing sick calls or short LOA's. This was 3 years ago. Everyone just received 1-2 extra patients. So, even picking up a casual position....maybe you're called, maybe not because upper management wants to cut labour costs.Last edit by joanna73 on Feb 26 : Reason: added information
- Feb 26 by joanna73Yep. Some people assumed that Redford would be pro health care, because this was part of her campaign mandate. But of course, they will all say and do whatever they need to become elected. At the end of it all, this truly is SSDD. Everywhere is the same. Money is all that matters.