Funny dreams about your job as a nurse
- 7Sep 4, '08 by mondkmondkI dreamed one night that I was in charge and this one lady patient we had was dying. Her dx? "Chinese Toe Disease". Anyway, I dreamed her toes all fell off and she died. I called the doctor to report it and told him her toes had all fallen off...the doctor said "There's no bringing them back when the toes go" and so I proceeded to call the funeral home. I put her toes in a baggie and ran after the hearse because the coroner had forgotten to take her toes.
Another dream: I dreamed the 2 halls of patients we had were fighting with each other over which batteries were the best: Energizer or Duracell.
Tell me your funny dreams!
- 11Sep 5, '08 by AmyBRNOMG!!!
I thought I was the only person with weird dreams. My problem is I sleep talk and walk.
One dream I had was my patients femoral Aline was dislodged and I was putting pressure on it to stop the bleeding, only to have a fight with my husband. He's yelling "Get off of me what are you doing?", I said still half asleep and only thinking about the 'bleeding,' "Hold still your bleeding." back and forth like that, finally he says, "Just go to sleep will you." I say "Fine, bleed out for all I care", roll over and go back to sleep.
Another time, it was after I took Pseudophed for a cold, I fell asleep, somehow, and started feeling something like palpitations. I'm thinking, while dreaming that I'm in V-tach, and I cant 'hook' myself up to a monitor. So I'm thinking "Check a pulse." I was able to feel a pulse, so I roll over and think 'good it's not lethal v-tach.' When I woke up later thinking about the dream, I was like non-lethal v-tach??? Maybe just some SVT. Needless to say I don't take Pseudophed before I sleep anymore.
Finally, another dream I had was of a patient pulling out their Tracheostomy, and I lunge for the patient and grab the trach and hold it in, asking for someone to help me. Again, DH says "Get off of me, your choking me." As I wake up and look at me holding my hand over his neck, holding in the trach. LOL. Poor hubby takes lots of abuse.
I told the last one to a PA, he says, I think you need a less stressful job, gee you think??
- 1Sep 5, '08 by mondkmondkAh, the trach story...I sleep like a log; I probably have sleep apnea too because I know I sleep with my mouth open, I have to keep water at my bedside because my mouth gets so dry.
Keep the funnies coming!
P.S. One of my repeated nightmares is that I'm working alone and have to be an aide, charge nurse, and med tech all at once. Oh how I hate those!
- 3Sep 8, '08 by gentlegiverI had a dream that a Code Blue was called and I was the only one who responded. The next day at work they called a Code Blue (practice tho we didn't know that when it was called) and I was the only one who responded. Scared the poop out of me! Needless to say the rest of the building got a talking to by management.
- 0Sep 8, '08 by nerdtonurse?I had one dream 3 days in a row that I was on the floor, alone, and had to coded a specific pt who was a full code but really, REALLY didn't need to be (more stuff wrong than right on the poor thing). By the third night, if her rhythm looked hinky at ALL, I was in the room at a run. Went off shift for 2 days, saw a co-worker at WalMart, asked about my LOL, and turned out she did code and pass....I think I shook for 5 minutes...I don't think I'm psychic or anything, I think my subconscious was just putting 2 and 2 together a little faster than my conscious mind...
- 0Sep 8, '08 by mcknisI once dreamt I was doing a dressing change of a persons foot and all their toes just fell off into my hand. A few weeks later one of the nurses was doing the dressing change on a foot and some toes did fall off! I also dreamt last night that I was getting yelled at by our manager and case manager that I didn't do enough diet teaching with a pt and they were readmitted to the ICU for acute heart failure. Prob will happen in just a little while, but who has time to do that much teaching and actually expect it to sink in.
- 0Sep 9, '08 by winsteadcmQuote from AmyBRNgah. i'm only an assistant and i hate those dreams. i wake up freaking out because i think i've been at work for 5 hours and haven't done any vitals or anything.Another repeat dream, is that your running around taking care of your patients, only to realize that it's 200 and you didn't know you had another patient(s).
or i'll dream i'm so late i'm just running all day and can never catch up.