Confess! Whats the craziest force of habit you've done in the "Real World" - page 18
I have heard some of the craziest things nurses have done out of force of habit in the "Real World". Aka out of the hospital. I've heard that some sign their checks with first initial, last name RN. Someone ran to aisle... Read More
- 4Aug 21, '11 by Ruby VeeQuote from mgrn123i think i know you . . .coded a gf in the middle of the night thinking it was a code
blue. got one chest compression in before waking up!
i woke up in the middle of the night one night with my ex-husband's finger up my nose. he kept telling me to swallow.
- 4Aug 24, '11 by nerdtonurse?I was at Colonial Williamsburg when they were having a reenactment, including setting up a "field hospital" in one of the buildings. I got to chatting with one of the "medics" who is a Paramedic in 2010-- he asked me "what do you think this is?" and I said, "it looks like a brass 12 gauge foley" (and they did have brass foleys for in and out caths back in the day, OUCH). He showed me things in his personal collection that made me want to get down on my knees and thank GOD I wasn't born in the 1700s....
Anyway, he said he realized he had an OR nurse going thru the "hospital" when she started automatically turning all the instruments with the sharps away from her, and grouping by type -- clamp, needle holder, etc. -- while they were talking, and she didn't even realize she was doing it.
- 3Aug 24, '11 by elthiaI got concerned when I was house sitting for a friend, cleaned the litter box and there wasn't much output. I was worried her poor kitty was sick. Was all set to take it to the vet, tracking it down, got attacked when pulled kitty out from under bed. Couldn't figure out why, she had good turgor, wet nose. Turns out kitty was toilet trained...and using the other bathroom. I just need to go in and flush the toilet.
- 1Aug 25, '11 by lovenandj, RNHaven't actually done this, I have to force myself not to leave "signs" around my house to communicate things (like is often found in med rooms), today I wanted to get a sharpie and write "DO NOT REMOVE" on a bottle of lotion that keeps walking out of the bathroom where I want it to stay...
- 2Aug 26, '11 by NurseHopefulInOHWorking in LTC i get reaaalll nervous when I see an elderly person out and about in the store or mall and they are barely getting along my mind just flashes fall risk fall risk! and I want to run behind them and grab their waist band and ask where their walker is LOL. Also I tend to scream at people or get real close to their face. I forget not everyone is HOH! When a friend or relative is sick I seriously think to myself ok now whats standing order for that? ill have to check their MAR do they have any PRNs? I debrided a friends leg after a motorcycle accident...and got excited about it lol.
- 0Aug 26, '11 by NurseHopefulInOHI reach for my badge several times a day when off work then panic when its not there. Badges are like gold at my work can do anything w/out it! have looked at my keys and thought to myself now which set is this?? (I have several carts at work..i was trying to find my main cart keys LOL)
- 1Aug 27, '11 by beckster_01Quote from NurseHopefulInOHThe other day I had a patient who what EXTREMELY HOH. Like scream in his ear and he still might not hear you. I kept on going to my other patients room and screaming at them too until I noticed the annoyed look on their face... poor people lolAlso I tend to scream at people or get real close to their face. I forget not everyone is HOH!