Career Crisis....Register Today!
- by coopman712 Oct 7, '12Hi All-
I feel as though just about every week I am posting about my career crossroads and various ideas I am tossing around in my head about where to go and what to do....
I am a fairly new nurse. I worked 1 year (part time) in acute med rehab and then moved out of state for my husband's job. I have spent the past few months setting up shop in our new home, getting license, etc. I have my license in the new state but am having NO luck in the job dept. I have applied to so many places and in various settings. I am a second career nurse, having been a school teacher for many years. ( so I have a BA in Psychology, MS in Education and RN, not BSN though). While my experience at my last job gave me the opportunity to see a lot and I am grateful for the experience, I can say it was not an environment where I thrived and really don't want to return to that at all.
For now....I am registered as a subsitute school nurse and will likely be doing some medical coding, but I am so disappointed in myself and am actually questioning my choices. I LOVE health and wellness promotion and maintenance. I loved educating patients as well. I really feel like I am best suited for an outpatient setting but I haven't seen many jobs posted and am unsure where to go or look. I want to find a place where I can utilize my many skills. I think I am competent enough that I should be able to find something. Perhaps I am looking for some ideas of where to direct the search or am just needing to vent.
Thanks for listening!
- Oct 7, '12 by itsnoworneverHave you checked diabetes nursing or pain management clinics?
- Oct 7, '12 by joanna73If you enjoy health promotion, do a search on the internet and apply to clinics within your region. Remember also....it isn't you. The job market is rough everywhere. Perhaps you can also try local agency nursing? Good luck!
- I am having trouble finding clicnics, etc. Perhaps b/c I am new to the area still. But even on the internet I am just having trouble.
I did interview with a visiting nurse agency who really thought I would be great with the population, but I lacked enough experience apparently.
Diabetes Nursing-thought you needed special cert for that?
Should I have posted this in a different place?
- Oct 7, '12 by itsnoworneverSome places ask for certs, however, you can get them on your own without work sponsorship or just apply! If they like you well enough they will help you with the certification.
You can always google search for clinics (I was able to find a list of ALL hospitals in my county) or call the department of health in the state you are in and ask where to find a list of clinics. Have you tried to get your public health license? that may be a thing you would enjoy also!
My Sunday night rendezvous of job searching is about to begin. I know I would like PH nursing for sure. I guess I should look on my state's BON site in regards to certifications.
I will google some clinics....
- Oct 7, '12 by cjr2619What area have you just moved to? Maybe if you find someone on here who lives in your area they can help to guide you..?
- I am in north-west/central NJ. Morris County to be most specific.