Background check, drug testing, and all that
- 0Dec 4, '13 by mhy12784So I was offered a job I really want, and the last obstacle for me is the drug testing, background check credit report and all that stuff.
They told me it would likely take another week and change to get the results to everything, how common is it that any of this could be an obstacle to getting a first job and what exactly are they looking for ?
I have NO worries about the drug test, as I dont do drugs (although I have taken OTC cold medicine which contains pseudoephed) . But I have no idea how big of a deal any of the other stuff is. I mean ive never got arrested or anything or claimed for bankruptcy and stuff.
And all my references will check out, is that pretty much it ?
Ive just always wondered what exactly this stuff entails, and if its really anything worth worrying about
- 0Dec 4, '13 by HouTx GuideThe length of time depends upon a lot of variables. Most organizations use 3rd party vendors to conduct background checks & drug screens. Some of these companies are much faster than others. HR employment processes are dependent upon resources, just like all other departments. If the organization is short-staffed in HR, the process takes longer to complete.... bottom line, it takes as much time as it takes.
Frustrating, right?? Hang in there. Don't be afraid to call them and check in every few days to get a status update.
- 0Dec 4, '13 by UPSgirlThe drug test takes the most amount of time, simply due to the fact that that the urine is sent out to a private company to be tested. It took the last facility I worked for almost 3 weeks to get the results back. I know this because I have bulging discs in my spine that I take Lortab (prescribed to me by a doctor) for. Three weeks into the job HR called me and told me I need to call the facility that performed my drug test. I called them and they told me the findings, and asked if I had a prescription, to which I replied yes, and I gave them the phone number of my pharmacy to verify. Background checks and credit reports don't take very long.
- 0Dec 4, '13 by UPSgirlI've never heard of Sudafed causing a false positive, but it may cause a false positive for amphetamines. When your urine tests positive for anything, they are able to break the urine down even further to see if it actually is the substance that you tested positive for. This causes an added delay. Hope everything works out for you!
- 0Dec 4, '13 by mhy12784Hmm
I just got a call tonight from the lab, asking me a ton of questions about whether im on Codeine or Morphine. And if I have a script for either.
Never had either. Guy said that my levels were low enough to come up as a "negative" but then started telling me something about poppy seeds asking if I ate a bagel that morning.
Hoping this isnt an issue
- 0Dec 6, '13 by mhy12784Stupid question, but I was just reading threads to help a friend out with something and rememebred, that I got a parking ticket maybe 8 years ago (or a ticket for an expired registration or something stupid where I wasnt in the car) and didnt put that on my "criminal history"
That shouldnt matter right ?
- 0Dec 6, '13 by KimberlyRN89Quote from mhy12784I don't see why it should. Even on those online apps, they state "excluding parking tickets".Stupid question, but I was just reading threads to help a friend out with something and rememebred, that I got a parking ticket maybe 8 years ago (or a ticket for an expired registration or something stupid where I wasnt in the car) and didnt put that on my "criminal history" That shouldnt matter right ?