I have been called in to a meeting with my nurse manager. She said there maybe disciplinary action taken, in regards to informing my charge nurse that a two of my patients were being transferred to a more acute unit. I did not put my patients in danger. She was on the phone. While I was putting in doctors orders and actively getting my patient transferred to the ICU. They were off the floor in a timely manner. From what I gather, the charge nurse on these 2 occasions was not timely informed about my patients' transfer.
I know it is BS.
I have had a feeling they are looking for an excuse to get rid of me. I have 1 written warning already, for not working fast enough on the floor and documenting in real time. This is when I was a new nurse on the floor. I would document outside the patient's room or when I had time. No one on my floor documents in real time. But I just had to say I would make it a priority and I would work on it. I think I am one of the only nurses NOW on my floor that charts real time. Who has the time? (I work on a busy med surg unit, day shift, 4-5 patients). I am efficient, get along with all staff and have had no complaints from patients or their families.
I can't believe I am being called into this meeting this. The day this happened the nurse manager was prowling around our floor. Everyone seems to be scared of her, but I could careless, because I knew I was not going to stay that much longer, so I grit my teeth and bear it.
Since I have already had a written warning...I am worried this could be used as an excuse to fire me.
If I know I won't be fired, I will just hand in my 2 weeks notice and quit. I am tired of med surg; patients and management. I am tired of having to look over my shoulder at work because the Big Bad nurse manager and her Charge Nurse minions are yapping at everyone's heels. I love my co-workers but I hate going into work.
I like patients who I don't have to talk much to. OR, ER, or ICU is my calling. I am not a med surge nurse, but I am happy to know that i can do it, though.
But if I am at risk for being fired because of this, I rather just quit. I rather quit without notice. I know it looks bad but is it not worse to be fired?
Is it okay to quit before even going to the meeting? Honestly i don't want to hear their BS. I know I am a great nurse. I know I did not put my patients at risk and did what I was supposed to do. I am livid that I am even being called in for this. Form of humiliation. But on a technicality they want to write me up or possibly fire me?
If you give management criticisms you get in trouble? Poor staffing conditions which make it unsafe for patients and staff. They have safety policies which they know nurses can't meet due to poor staffing but you are expected to follow it. Even though the unspoken words are 'just get the job done, we don't care how you do it, but just do it.'
I am applying for jobs, but I don't want to wait till I get a new one...it could take months before I get a new job. What should I do?
Jan 24, '14
I did not chart that i had notified the charge nurse. During training it has been emphasized to document contact with the doctor but not to the charge. I documented contacting the doctor on all occasions. In these situations, one doctor called me directly and let me know what the plan was; I called the charge nurse, she was not answering her phone, so went to the nurses' station, saw she was on the phone, so I sat there and entered in the doctors orders, so that once she was off it, I would tell her. Same situation with another patient on the same day. When i needed to inform her of a transfer, she was on the phone. Nothing wrong with that…but they cannot expect me to sit around twiddling my thumbs waiting for her. I did not realize this was an issue. If it was why did she not talk to me directly the first time it happened? I would have been able to explain to her why I did not tell her immediately.
In another situation, I waited for the doc outside the patient's room to get an idea of what he wants to do with the patient. Patient had RR of 32 all through out the night shift, no one called the doctor. I wondered why not. That patient was the first one i went to see after giving report. His RR bumped up to 40. He was stating 96%. Really struggling the breath. Called respiratory and the doctor. Doctor just told me to tell respiratory to give him more breathing treatments and try to get him to cough up the phlegm. Not that long later the doctor was up on the floor in the patient's room assessing him. I waited outside the room, to get an idea of what the doctor was planning for this patient. He said likely all the heavy breathing was from the patient coughing and trying to get up the thick mucous, he wanted him to cough it all up, but to just keep monitoring the patient. He mentioned nothing in regards to transferring the patient. So I frequently checked on the patient while, caring for my other patients. While in another patient's room the doc put in transfer order. I was not informed. I went to past the nurse's station and the secretary informed me that my patient was being transferred. I had no idea, neither did the charge nurse. But we both found out then. I am not a mind reader. I did verbally inform her of what was going on, but she should have known my patient was unstable because he had been that way all night. When the charge nurses switch off they go over all the patient conditions. This guy was right next to the nurses' station. I was the one that followed up and informed the doctor.
I work for a union. I will evoke my rights to have a rep.
How long can I wait to have this meeting with the nurse manager? I want to send and email today putting in my two weeks notice. I want to stall long enough to give my two weeks and then get out of there. She told me that this meeting is something that we need to set up soon. I have no idea if termination is on the table. But I have heard from other co-workers that calling a union rep puts you in a worse position with our nurse manager…"you don't want to **** her off." is what I have heard. Every thing is off the record.
Would this be a good tactic? I feel like I am playing Russian Roulette. If I go into this meeting unprepared for a termination and wait and see if they want to fire me, then I am screwed. But if i put in my two weeks and stall till the very end of the notice till doing the interview, then I have a great chance of leaving on good terms with this company and not being placed on the do not rehire list.
I don't want to leave without a new job set up but i don't want to be black balled either.
My mind is swirling with possible outcomes.
Last edit by Esme12 on Jan 24, '14
: Reason: TOS