Can't find a job for over 8 months
- 0I "lost my job" in the beginning of November 2012 and have had ZERO luck finding something else. I'm a psych nurse with 3 yrs of experience with my associates degree. I will be done with my BSN in may 2014. I think my question is to everyone: the longer I'm unemployed, is it more difficult to be hired?
This is becoming very depressing!! I can easily say I've applied to over 200 jobs since then. Advice please!!
- 0I'm not saying I lost my job. I don't think I was fired technically. It was one day before my probationary period was going to end and they said it wasn't working out. So, more laid off.
On my application, I write "home care wasn't for me".
I live in NYC, so I know the competition is great, however, I've never experienced anything like this before.
- 0Quote from Elle23They told me it wasnt working out one day before my probation was up.When you say you lost your job, were you fired or laid off? Just wondering if that might be affecting your success.
I was out of nursing for 2 years and was able to find a job.
2 years you did not work as a nurse? Wow!! I just opened a business with my husband and I'd like to concentrate on that till I finish school in may but I think the longer I stay out of the nursing game the harder it will be. Ya know?
- 0Quote from hope3456I live in NYC. That's why I think it's just so hard too!! Ugh!!It depends on your location as well - some areas the job market is really competitive for nurses. If you only have psych experience you are probably going to be limited to psych or LTC.
- 0Jul 3, '13 by CrunchRNI think you are right. Lots of new grads and lots of hospital downsizing. I have heard that you may have better luck outside the NY metro area from other posters. Maybe you should just say something like "home health not good fit for new grad" or just leave it off altogether. And yes, the longer you are out the harder it will be so keep trying!
- 0Quote from hope3456I thought about taking a non RN job but I really don't want to. I don't think I need a refresher course yet as it's only 8 months and I'm still in school for my BSN. It's just really getting me down.Maybe try a nurse refresher course or take a non RN job somewhere to get your foot in the door.