Hi ladies...sorry it has taken me a few days to get back to you, i have been working through this mental block to get my selection criteria done :-). Carol as my last assignment for my diploma I have to submit my portfolio, address a selection criteria from an appropriate job vacancy and also write a demonstration letter of application. I would really appreciate any feedback...positive or negative ;-)
Selection Criteria 1
Demonstrated knowledge of, and the ability to apply, primary health care principles, nursing principles, procedures and practices in line with the ANMC Competencies for an Enrolled Nurse.
While studying the Diploma of Enrolled Nursing I have completed and been found competent on all of my clinical placements. These placements included Aged Care, Acute Care and Community Care. As part of these placements I was required to demonstrate my ability to apply primary health care principles, nursing principles, procedures and practices within the Enrolled Nurse Scope of Practice.
By the end of my acute care clinical placement I was responsible for my own patient load which comprised of 4 patients. (Under the supervision of my preceptor)
- Assistance with ADL's as required
- Health promotion such as providing appropriate information and support as requested for patients in relation to healthy lifestyle choices
- Documentation including, admission, observations, fluid balance charts, medication charts, consent forms, referrals, discharge forms etc
- Wound care including, sterile technique, wound swabs, changing dressings and educating patients about signs and symptoms of infection
- Pre-operative and post-operative care of the patient, and providing information and support to the patient and their families
- Reporting any changes or unstable observations etc to the RN
Selection Criteria 2
Demonstrated ability to assist clients to meet their needs, overcome health problems and perform activities of daily living.
I have demonstrated my ability to assist clients to meet their needs, overcome health problems and perform ADL's during my clinical placements.
- Providing education and support to clients in relation to health issues and procedures
- Ensuring clients have a full understanding of any information they have been given relating to their specific health care needs
- Making sure all ordered medications are given and maintaining the 5 rights of medication management
- Assisting with ADL's as required, but encouraging the client to actively participate in their own health care and ADL's whenever possible or practical
- Referring clients to the appropriate allied health team to receive assistance as necessary such as - OT, Physio, Counselling, ACAT etc
- Making time to communicate effectively with the client to gain a comprehensive understanding of the issues that may be of concern to the client
Selection Criteria 3
Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills.
My written and verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills are highly developed. I have recently completed a Diploma of Enrolled Nursing and this required advanced levels of communication through essays, group projects, visual presentations and practical demonstrations.
As part of this course, I have completed and was marked competent in the units; Communication, Cultural Diversity and Work effectively with Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islanders. This supports that I am able to communicate effectively with clients, families, other health care providers and staff members, while taking into consideration diverse cultures, age groups, beliefs and traditions and sexuality.
For the last 16 years I have worked in various roles in customer service/retail. While studying for my Diploma I have been employed in the retail sector as an Assistant Manager. This too, demonstrates the effectiveness of my communication and interpersonal skills. In this role I have been required to;
- Assist with setting goals and meeting said goals
- Acting as a liaison between staff and management
- Communicating with clients, staff and management
- Operating the business as acting manager when management is absent
- Resolving complaints/disputes from clients
Selection Criteria 4
Demonstrated documentation and data collection skills.
I have demonstrated my ability to document and collect data on all of my clinical placements. This includes;
- Carrying out observations such as vital signs, base line Ob's, BSL's, Neuro Ob's, post-op Ob's, fluid input and output
- Documenting these Ob's on the clients chart
- Documenting client progress in nursing notes
- Documenting all medications given
- Initiating written referrals
- Collecting information from the client and completing all relevant forms relating to admission, consent, discharge etc
Selection Criteria 5
Demonstrated clinical skills commensurate with education and skill preparation.
I believe my clinical skills are appropriate for my level of practical experience. As part of my Diploma I have completed and been deemed competent in all relevant clinical skills. As my professional background has not been in healthcare, I have always taken every opportunity provided during my clinical placements to participate in providing healthcare to the client and expanding my clinical knowledge and understanding.
Selection Criteria 6
An understanding of Occupational Health and Safety Legislation and codes of practice.
During the course of my Diploma I completed a unit on OH&S and I do have an understanding of the legislation and codes of practice. As there are vast amounts of information involved in the Health and Safety ACT 1995 and the Codes of Practice, it is my understanding that they are required by law to be available for staff to refer to in all relevant workplaces.
The Workplace Health and Safety Act 1995 provides a framework for addressing the issues relating to,
- Regulations, codes of practice etc;
- Industry and workplace consultative arrangements;
- Workplace health and safety committees, workplace health and safety officers (WHSO), and workplace health and safety representatives (WHSR);
- Legal proceedings and offences
- Enforceable undertakings
The Act applies to all workplaces, employers
and employees in the private and public sector.
Codes of practice may consist of any code, standard, rule, specification or provision for workplace health and safety.