Dual Citizen (Fil-Am) RN taking NCLEXRegister Today!
- by lizzie13 Jan 18, '12Hi! I am a Dual citizen (Fil-Am). I finished my nursing course here in the Philippines and earned my RN license here. Right now, I am planning to take the NCLEX but there are things that confuse me.
Am I considered a foreign nurse (who still needs to take the CGFNS exam)?
I am applying for Massachusetts..
Thanks in advance..
- 2,035 Views
- Jan 18, '12 by juan de la cruzYou're considered an Internationally-Educated Nurse or IEN and will always be subject to the rules that pertain to all IEN's in terms of licensure in all the 50 states. Massachusetts requires IEN's to submit proof of either passing the CGFNS Certification Exam or completion of the CGFNS Credentials Evaluation Service.
You may also be required to pass a Board-designated test of English proficiency as stated in the link below since you trained in a country where English is not considered a primary language. Call the board and verify this. TOEFL is one of the most widely accepted English tests but they may accept other standardized test of English proficiency.
http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/docs/dph/regs/244cmr008.pdfLast edit by juan de la cruz on Jan 18, '12
- Jan 24, '12 by lizzie13Thanks a lot for the reply..
- Sep 6, '12 by dsingson5How about if you already worked in the US? Do you still need to take the TOEFL? Thank you
- Sep 6, '12 by dsingson5And may I ask about the status of your application lizzie13? I'm waiting for CGFNS to approve my credentials. How long was the wait? How is the job market in MA or particularly Greater Boston area?
- Sep 7, '12 by Silverdragon102Quote from dsingson5Wait for CGFNS is on average 2-4 months. MA especially Boston is a tough area suggest you check out the MA state forum found under the US banner aboveAnd may I ask about the status of your application lizzie13? I'm waiting for CGFNS to approve my credentials. How long was the wait? How is the job market in MA or particularly Greater Boston area?
- Sep 7, '12 by dsingson5How about the MA BON wait time? I currently live in SF Bay Area. Is the Boston job market tougher than here?
- Sep 8, '12 by rk11Hi! Did the BON in Massachusetts requires foreign-trained nurses to have a local license in the country where they received their education? In your case, did you take the NLE in the Philippines?
- Sep 8, '12 by dsingson5If you're a US citizen or US permanent resident, you don't have to.
- Sep 9, '12 by rk11It's for my husband actually. He became an immigrant after he graduated from nursing school in the Philippines. He's looking to apply in MA. We live in RI but the BON requires him to take the CGFNS exam compared to MA where he only needs CES. I know in CA if you don't have a local license you have to send a letter of explanation, does it also apply in MA? Thanks so much for your help. It's been a complicated journey for him trying to take his NCLEX.