PATIENT posting pictures on FacebookRegister Today!
- by nkochrn Jul 29We had an ED patient over the weekend that posted pictures on facebook from his visit. 2 of the ED nurses were in the picture and had no idea that they'd even been photographed. They were very upset to find out that it ended up on fb. One of them does not have a fb account.
There wasn't really anything they could've done to stop it from happening, our risk manager is looking into this right now. I'm not sure exactly how the nurses saw the pictures because it was the risk managers understanding that the patient was from out of town and the nurses did not know him, so would not have been his friend on fb. I thought she could just report the photo but not sure, I will have to talk to the nurse that found it to find out the exact details since the risk manager doesn't have a good understanding of how facebook works.
I've seen a few times that one of the OB nurses will end up on facebook and that's never surprised me, patients and families are always taking tons of pictures in that area. It's never seemed to be an issue before.
Does anyone have any policies regarding this?Last edit by nkochrn on Jul 29
- Actually, my hospital has a policy that while patient's can take whatever pics of their body they want while in the hospital, they can not take any pics with staff members in it. If a patient does take a pic with a staff member we can get the higher up's involved to ensure the pic gets deleted. So if this incident was at my hospital this guy would be getting a call from Risk Management to take the pic down ASAP
- Thanks for your reply, is there anyway I could see your policy?
- awesome, thanks so much! Do you have signs warning patients that they can not post pictures of staff or how are they made aware of the policy?
- Jul 29 by BiffbradfordThe patient was from out of town? How did you find out??
- Quote from BiffbradfordThis is what I need to talk to the actual nurse about b/c I'm not sure how she found out. I think he was out of town and possibly one of his friends is from town and posted the pictures but I haven't had a chance to ask her about it yet.The patient was from out of town? How did you find out??
- Jul 29 by MunoRNFacilities can have policies against taking pictures of staff, but they can only be enforced by removing the person taking pictures from the hospital. It's not illegal to take pictures of staff and there's no legal route for getting such pictures deleted from facebook.
- Jul 29 by RNsRWeIsn't it remarkable how many privacy laws are in place to protect patients but ZIP to protect staff?
If someone wants to use your photo in a magazine or newspaper, they must get your permission. But online postings? Well, slap as many candids on there as they can and you can't do a thing about it, legally?