Do nurses get fired often? - Page 7Register Today!
- Mar 7 by losbozosYou are so right! There must be a stop to this but mgt must be on board & not part of the problem.
- Mar 8 by blackvans1234There's three sides to every story....
- Mar 9 by tyvinQuote from losbozosHelp! I just got fired because patient said I was rude! Not so. My supervisor got 3 calls w/in a month re: my rudeness & putting pts down. I've been a nurse for over 30 yrs & know this didn't happen. I asked my boss if she ever got calls from pts & she said, "No". When I asked her if this seemed strange, she said, "Yes". HR also said I wouldn't be able to collect unemployment. I guess that's what happens when one gets fired. Anyone have experience w/ this?
I certainly hope you're not going to listen to them! You go and apply stat. It doesn't matter if they fired you, you will more then likely be able to collect if what you say is true. The unemployment office will do an investigation and decide after they've interviewed you and the place that canned you.
I know 2 RNs who were terminated and collected because they fought and the unemployment office decided in their favor.
- Mar 10 by lkulmannI was fired for doing my job...reporting pt safety concerns !
I was able to collect unemployment while going through the legal process...the hospital never challenged it...?
- Mar 10 by LadyFree28Quote from MN-Nurse^Truth!!<img src="http://allnurses.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12375"/>
I had work with a grossly unsafe nurse...she was unsafe when she came in the door, and was just as unsafe when she left. It took her three years to get fired.
One nurse was so grossly unsafe. He would not cover blood sugars, refuse to do two person checks, poor supervision, etc. He would defy management. He potentially harmed a pt by putting 3x the amount of wager in a GT ballon. Child ended up in the hospital d/t the resulting negative affects and pressure in the abdominal cavity and that inversely affected the child's previous chronic condition. Mom took child out of facility; he was fired after that.
Those are the only two nurses that I know of who were fired in my 10+ years of healthcare.
If anything, most people either quit or get transferred..a lot if times we assume that they were fired, unless we know that person gets fired directly.
As far as protecting yourself, malpractice and legal protection is all you need, and advocating for yourself, IMHO. If a place is going to fire me based on whistleblower issues, to the most frivolous, best believe I know my rights, will pass GO, collect, and go to the next job, or continue at my per-diem job. I've at least stayed flexible in terms of most of my employers, and have an active file and positive work history to the point if I need to return to a job I left, I will be able to without any issues.
- Mar 10 by thenursemandyQuote from enchantmentdisI would tell. 1. I am married and believe that a husband and wife are not to have sex with people outside of their marriage. I don't care if he says he is separated. I would try to get you fired. Not trying to be rude, just being honest. Please end things until he is actually divorced. Then I will wish you luck. I met my hubby at work and kept it on the down low.
Trust me on this one: If ANY, and i mean ANY female you work with finds out about the relationship you have with the doctor their jealousy will get the better of them, they will report it to management and you will get fired. Women are like that. They will not think twice before gossiping about it. They are snakes.
- Mar 10 by prep8611Quote from thenursemandyGlad I don't work with you although I'm married and faithful. You just sound like a pain in the you know what. Not a fact, just my opinion. Go to work, take care of your patients, go home.
I would tell. 1. I am married and believe that a husband and wife are not to have sex with people outside of their marriage. I don't care if he says he is separated. I would try to get you fired. Not trying to be rude, just being honest. Please end things until he is actually divorced. Then I will wish you luck. I met my hubby at work and kept it on the down low.