African Americans as nurses. - Page 6Register Today!
- Mar 10, '11 by TheCareerStudentQuote from leslie :-DI guess what I am trying to say is that there is no room in this country for people to feel this way anymore. I don't think the question is inappropriate I think the mindset is. I should have worded it differently.appreciate the clarification.
i think it's presumptuous to deem his question, "inappropriate"...
since we don't know why he felt inclined to ask.
like i said, it just really, really saddened me.
- I seriously accept everyone comments and I will go on. I'm very sorry for some of those who took this the wrong way. I did not try to play a "race card" or anything like that. I was just really curious about what goes on in nursing. I am only on my prerequisite courses and no hands on training yet. I feel good for many positive answers but I feel bad because some of you thought I was trying to start drama. Thanks anyway and I will contine to follow my plans to become an RN. :/
- Mar 10, '11 by canoeheadNo worries Daniel, we didn't realize the spirit in which you were asking the question...
Come back soon, cause we're usually a lot nicer.
- Mar 10, '11 by Lil'mamaAll the best to you OP.
I'm a black nurse and have experienced very very little negativity. I live in the south.
I have heard some derogatory things specifically from the really really old patients but it's not as common as even I would think.
- Mar 10, '11 by leslie :-DQuote from canoeheadliar liar, pants on fire.Come back soon, cause we're usually a lot nicer.
seriously, as with anything else, you will find that most folks are nice, a few are brow-raising. but all are unique.
can you imagine how dull life would be, if were all candidates for sainthood?
hope to see more of you, daniel.
- Mar 10, '11 by CrunchRNHey Daniel,
Good for you! I love working with male nurses. The more the better (and less drama!)........
Did you know we call male nurses "Murses"?
- Haha I never knew that! I'm sure they do that where ever you live.
- Mar 10, '11 by SandraCVRNI work with 2 African American males that are currently in nursing school. Good luck...........
- May 11, '11 by IsitpossibleHey everyone. I would just like to know if it is ok to work as a nurse as an african american and do many do it? Are there any drawbacks to this or will everything be alright? I thank you for all answers!
Hi Daniel, congratulations and good luck to you on your future endeavors. To answer your question, its absolutely acceptable to be an African American Male Nurse. Males on the whole make up a small percentage of nurses but thankfully things are changing!! So yes I feel everything will be okay for you. Now you may run into a some racism, but i dont think that will be the norm. And that can happen no matter what profession your in!! My genuine concern is why did you think it wouldnt be okay? Are you receiving negative feedback within your own community (family, school or friends)?