Neonatal Nurse Professional Organizations
- 0Jul 14, '02 by Brownbetty
Hello fellow Neonatal Nurses. I am a new grad (officially Friday July 19, 2002 2 1:00PM) and I would like to know which professional organization you have joined and how useful is it to you and your practice. I have joined AWHONN but questioned if that was a good idea. I am going to join one solely for Neonatal Nurses since I will start my NICU position after graduation. I don't know if I should choose National Association for Neonatal Nurses (NANN) or the Academy of Neonatal Nursing (ANN).
I would love to have your input.
Poll: Which professional organization for Neonatal Nurses do you belong to?
18 Votes / Multiple Choice
Academy of Neonatal Nursing (ANN)
Association of Women's Health, Obstetrics, Gynecologic and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN)
National Association of Neonatal Nurses (NANN)
- 10,450 Visits
- 0Jul 14, '02 by prmenrsAWOHNN--don't care for them unless you're doing women's health as well. Their magazine has 1 (one) article for neonatal nurses in it and it's usually about breastfeeding or facilitating bonding.
Either ANN or NANN or both are much more useful in my opinion. Noenatal Network is worth it alone. They used to all be NANN, but the leadership @ NANN wanted a divorce from the guy that has been helping them all along, and owns Neonatal Network. Nuts IMHO. So he started ANN. I think they're both still struggling @ this point, esp NANN, because they had to start a whole new journal.
At the local level, NANN does better, I THINK the local chapters are affiliated w/them, so if yiu join NANN, join your local group, too.
- 0Jul 14, '02 by NICU_NurseI had limited funds, and I just joined the Academy because of the great deals they were offering. For 77$, I got the membership, journal, etc., and for ten bucks a piece I got a really great med/nutrition book for neonates as well as a 50 minute physical assessment video. I am a new grad, and I thought the video would really help to drive it all home. I'm a better visual learner, anyway. You also get 15 free CEU's. It all came down to the better deal, really. I will be joining NANN as soon as possible, but if you can only join one, Academy really is worth it. I considered joining AWHONN, but I figured that if my goal was to improve my knowledge to help the female parents, I could probably do that better using my own research and resources rather than joining an organization that mostly centers on women's health. (I am a neonatal nurse). ;>)
- 0Aug 6, '02 by AnaclaireI have belonged to NANN for many years and was saddened when they split with the company producing the "Neonatal Network" journal. I love the "Neonatal Network" journal and joined ANN as soon as I found out about them. I am still enjoying NANN and their new journal although I find it more "serious" than my beloved Neonatal Network. What can I say? I love pictures! I plan to stay a member of both so I may continue to receive both journals.
Anyway, I plan to continue to support both because I realize how important it is for me to remain updated on the latest information whenever I care for my little patients. Besides that, I want to continue to support any organization that will take the time and effort to publish these types of journals.
I never joined AWOHNN because it seemed more oriented to the Labor and Delivery crowd... it would be a terrific organization to join though. I often go to the university medical library here to read their journal as well as MCN. Many hospitals subscribe to journals and keep them for all to read in their hospital library. That's another good place to go for information of all kinds...
Nursing is a continuing education. The journals are of great benefit to us all.
- 0Aug 7, '02 by cheliquaI belong to both ANN and NANN. They both provide wonderful journals and/or newsletters. Dues are reasonable and conferences are very well put together. I graduated 3 yrs ago and immediately joined ANA. Then when I went to work in the NICU, I joined ANN & NANN and have learned so much! In my opinion, they're both woth it!!!!