County College of Morris (CCM) Nursing Students - Fall '12Register Today!
- by CCMNursingStudent Aug 20, '12I just wanted to see if there is anyone else out there that is starting the clinical phase of the program and going into NUR121 in about a week's time (OMG - one week!).
I'm excited and anxious, with a healthy sprinkling of terror from time to time.
Seriously, though, I'd love to hear from some fellow CCM students!
- 4,145 Views
- Omg, well I got great news today, the nursing department informed me that ill be starting the nursing program nursing 121 this fall. Best news I got.
- Aug 20, '12 by JustBeachyNurseMoved to NJ state nursing programs
- Hi there! CONGRATS!!
Were you on a wait list? I'm surprised that they would notify you a week before the semester starts!
Just in case you didn't purchase the fundamentals package yet, the publisher is selling the bundle directly, with free UPS shipping, and there's a 25% coupon floating around out there. I ended up buying it straight from Elsevier and paying $136, when it's going for $181 at the bookstore.
Did they tell you where you are assigned to for clinicals?
- Yes, they emailed me and said there was an available seat because someone dropped out. its funny because I took microbiology for summer 3 session, and when I went to see the head of nursing, she said I was so close into getting into the nursing program but there wasn't anymore available seats. She's going to call me tomorrow and have me sign papers.
- THAT IS AWESOME! I am so happy for you!
I know that one semester makes a big difference, assuming you would have been flexible and could have gone and done nights in the Spring, but especially if you were only planning on doing days during the Fall, that would have meant waiting a WHOLE year, if that seat didn't open up.
It's hard to say what that person's circumstances were that required them dropping, but at the end of the day, you get to have a jump-start on your career, which is fantastic!
Do you have to do everything in the next week, though?! I can't imagine that they'd expect you to do all of the medical clearance stuff done with such short notice, not to mention the supplies and books.
Let me know how it goes!
- Its all so overwhelming. Even though I work evening shifts, I didn't mind doing the evening program during the spring.I can get my medical clearance within a day, being that I work in the mental health field. Its a good thing I saved up money to buy supplies. What type of supplies do we need to have? And did they assign you to a clinical sight or were you able to choose?
- Aug 20, '12 by laura102I'm on board for Nursing 1 this Fall What clinical did you get? I got Morristown B on Wednesdays.
- At the orientation, they said that we really only need to purchase a stethoscope and bandage scissors, but after perusing this site, I'm probably going to purchase a couple of extra items.
The clinical sites were assigned to us, along with specific dates/times, and I believe that they went by blocks of people, based on last names. Considering that you are replacing a person that already held a seat, I would assume that you are going to take over the site and classes that person was initially assigned, but who knows?
I don't know the specific costs of the things we have to purchase, but here are some tidbits off the top of my head:
- The uniform set that you have to get from the school's supplier runs about $105 including taxes, which is assuming you only want one set of pants and one top and you don't need special sizing (tall or plus). They have a specific model # for each item that you must purchase; the top is white, pants are wine colored, and the lab coat is also white.
- The mandatory malpractice insurance was about $25 with the insurer I chose.
- The books I would suggest getting off of Amazon or anywhere other than the bookstore, if you can, but if they expect you to start next week, you might have to bite the bullet and pay retail+.
- The steth that you go with will vary greatly depending on the brand and model you ultimately decide to go with. In my search I saw $15 ones all the way up to $300. lol
- Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Ill let you know details on my situation when I go meet with the head.